Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What Artist, if Only One Could be on Your Walls

Drew Wiley

Re: What Artist, if Only One Could be on Your Walls

Well, I'd still have to put Watkins at the head of the line, but really should default to my first answer: I don't have any wall space left!

I grew up with a couple 18x22 Watkins on the walls -- I suppose that instead of my work, I could go out with Watkins still on the walls. (after all there is no rule saying I can't have portfolio boxes of my work and of others in the backroom!) The two Watkins images I grew up with (two Central Pacific steam locomotives, passenger cars with people standing on top, Cape Horn, Sierras...and a vertical of the Three Brothers reflected in the Merced River. The one Drew mentioned of the buckeye sounds like a fine third.
    http://portlandartmuseum.us/MWEBimag...058_0150_P.jpg
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zKHf9vT23p...e-brothers.jpg
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

John Olsen

My own work. It's my life and my house, and if only one person gets the honor, it's me. The BIG problem though, is selecting best images out of more than 30 years of hard work. Too bad about the lack of humility and all that, but I love what I do or I wouldn't bother. We should all strive to satisfy ourselves, first and foremost.

Stick up for yourselves.

Drew Wiley

I have some very nice antique prints. But I mainly use my own walls for tests, including various bellyflop alternate ways of framing, media permanence, etc. - I like hard experience experimenting and establishing quality boundaries before I potentially offer anything to a client. My best prints stay on shelves or in big flat files. But I'm running out of space just for those! But I'm a horribly harsh critic of my own work. If I can live with a specific personal image on the wall year after year, I figure it's a winner. Without going into detail, I could kick myself for not trading a couple of prints with someone named on this thread several times, back when that was still possible. But I badly needed cash sales, so that's what I took. I could also kick myself for not buying a couple of really exceptional Cameron prints for 2K apiece. But that was a lot of money to me way back then, and simply unrealistic.

Imogen cunningham. One of her botanicals, like maybe the white magnolia, her portrait of Frida Kahlo, and I haven't picked the third, but maybe the unmade bed and bobby pins.

Merg Ross, and the three would be, Reeds, Reflections and Mono Lake. If it could only be one it would be Reeds. The reeds and their reflections on the nothingness of water is brilliant.

Stleglitz.

The prints that I would have on my wall would be. The photograph of Georgia O'Keefe's hand with the silver bracelet on the V8 Ford spare tire. Because of the style. The second would be a cloud equivalents. Down to the last, it is difficult to make the final selection. I would select The steerage. My thought is that each represent different disciplines in photography. Commercial/fine art, abstract and photojournalism/street. I don't think that I would ever become tired seeing them. After forty five years I still go back to them for inspiration.

Michael
    Last edited by Sfroza; 5-Feb-2019 at 05:28. Reason: SP