Thread: Virginia Lakes

Virginia Lakes

The prognosticators say the High Sierra might accumulate 10' of snow!
    The last time there was this much, we were camping at Trumbull Lake in the Springtime and there were some very picturesque snow caves along the creek W of Virginia Lake, but I didn't have the 'dorff along. Nor the 5x7 Speeder.

The Virginia Lake Resort homepage looks to be six years old. I was wondering if they are still in business? Tioga Pass and Saddlebag Resorts have taken hits with previous storms and may still be rebuilding. Did Virginia suffer the same fate?

Was anyone up there last year?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Re: Virginia Lakes

Everything at Virginia Lakes - cabin, pack station, resort/store is well protected from avalanches and well maintained. The Caltrans heavy equipment yard is still at the intersection of Hwy 395 and the Virginia Lks Rd at Conway Summit, so it's easy to keep roads plowed around there. Of course dirt roads have to await the summer thaw; and in early season one has to be conscious of avalanche hazards higher up. I was there twice this past Aug for overnight camping in one of the no-fee areas, and dayhiking up the chain of lakes. Ten feet of snow should be no issue. It's been a lot deeper at times.
    Last edited by Drew Wiley; 4-Feb-2019 at 13:04.

Well South of Virginia Lakes, but certainly in the 'hood: the latest on Social media is that Tuolumne Meadows Resort won't reopen until 2020
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Don't know if I'll have an opportunity to run up there before things thaw out or not. There's a long snow runnel almost the whole way from Moat Lake down to the second Virginia Lake that provides a fun and fairly safe opportunity around Memorial Day for elementary ice axe training like I've promised a couple of people. But I have quite a few scheduling conflicts already.