Thread: did anyone make their own print washers?

did anyone make their own print washers?

I have a 20+ year old print washer we made at a studio I worked at. I bought it from them when they bought the giant colored print machine and didn't need washer anymore. Cannot remember the name of the glue used to glue the plexiglass in place. I was thinking about selling it, it held water really good 16 years ago but was thinking about filling it with water and seeing if there are any issues with the glued areas. Any suggestions on what glue would hold if there is a leak?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _MG_6787.jpg  

Re: did anyone make their own print washers?

Just contact any plastic supply house. If you don’t have one you can contact Acme Plastic in northern NJ.

If it was never dropped it might be fine

I have a home made one now. I didn't make it somebody else did 30 or more years ago. It's fine, but I use in a utility sink for safety

I also had 2 Pro made plastic washers, no leaks from them either

If it is a leaker and you are selling, I suggest not fixing it, but tell the buyer about any known issue

The buyer may prefer that. I would

Ask aquarium people
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

I've made several of them, Randy. Just basic acrylic fabrication, which involves "solvent welding" rather than gluing per se. You want any affected areas clean-lined and tight - no residual glue or uneveness. Solvent is conducted to the joint via a little bottle with a hypodermic needle, then the joint kept tight overnight. Any plastics shop has the right supplies. But that's all in relation to actual plastic fabrication. For a minor repair like a fracture, you can use multi-purpose plumbing solvent adhesive - the kind that works for both PVC and ABS pipe, available at any hardware store. Let it set up at least 24 hrs.

Thanks everyone for such quick and useful responses. I think PVC type was what I used. I had bought replacement parts to fit just in case anything ever happened. It never did so I have parts if needed just need to check the actual glued plexiglass edges.

But I have seen a couple that had daily hard use for many years, and I was tasked with fixing some cracks... I had the proper thin acrylic solvent and applicator... Shortly after applying, I started hearing a cracking sound and the entire unit suddenly cobwebed and cracked all over... Must have been fatigue failure...

These need to be replaced from time to time, and one too old is risky, as I have seen one burst and leave a huge mess...

A couple of large trays with fresh changes of water, and prints rocked back and forth about 10 times, with a few min in each, and prints drained throughly before the tray swap is archival too...

Steve K