Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you digitize 8x10" sheet film?

How do you digitize 8x10" sheet film?

Hi all,

Im just curious to know how folks do this. I started of with an Epson V700. I tried several pieces of anti newton ring glass... and none worked. I did wet scanning on the bed - but this made such a mess I gave up that too. I got rid of that scanner and got hold of a Scanmate F8+, however, this broke down before I really got to use it - and I have no idea how to fix it.

These days Im considering a drum scanner if I can get an affordable one... Based on my previous experience I am a little reluctant to do that as they are out of production and lacks support. My other option as I see it is to ge the Epson 12000XL... at least its supported, but I dont know the quality of it... and Im not so sure I’ll use that much money on a scanner. Am I missing out on something?

Cheers
    Peter

Re: How do you digitize 8x10" sheet film?

The 12000XL won't be any different from the V700 in this respect, in that both of them involve putting the sheet film directly on the glass.

What kind of film are you scanning, and how exactly are you scanning it? Most B&W negatives have enough "tooth" to the emulsion side that just putting the film on the glass with emulsion side down (against the glass) should be sufficient to avoid Newton's rings.

I'm curious why wet mounting to the bed glass was such a mess? I've been do this for nearly 20 years with my Epson Expression 1680 Pro without issue.

Digital camera scanning is also an option.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Im not scanning a lot of BW. Mainly Provia, but also Ektar and Portra 160. It didnt really matter if I scanned with the emulsion face down - newton rings would usually occur.

When wet scaning on the bed I would always have to remove the tape from the calibration area, and then try to clean... but I never really got the hang of it. The unclean calibration area would cause stripes... I just assumed this could be easier on an 12000XL considering its larger bed. Im not familiar with the 1680 Pro, how does it differ from the V700?

I think Id prefer an easy way of scanning, but I might opt for using my dslr.

There's of course the method that Ben Horne and others use with Epson V700/750/800/850 for 8x10: a silicone rubber petfood mat cut to shape, from which you suspend the film from by securing the edges to the mat with tape, with a central cut-out for the film area to be scanned and outside edges sized to fit the scanning mask required. It seemingly works because the silicone mount is thick enough to allow the scanner to focus on the film pretty much correctly; thickness of the silicone mat is between about 1.5-2mm. Someone somewhere ought to have the original measurements for it, but you can probably DIY using one of the other size Epson plastic film mounts as a rough guide, just centring the cut-out for 8x10, and, when measuring the cut-out, making it a few mm smaller on each side than a typical sheet of 8x10 for overlap to allow the very edges in the film rebate to be taped taut to the mat. Digital scanning would seem to me pointless with 8x10, esp. as you've already got an Epson scanner which will work brilliantly.
    http://www.davidfearnphotography.co.uk
    see too my 5x4 and 8x10 flickr albums

Quote Originally Posted by pkr1979 View Post
    I started of with an Epson V700. I tried several pieces of anti newton ring glass... and none worked.
    What 8x10 film are you scanning ?

With BW film place the emulsion facing down to the glass, and that's all !!! (as mentioned...)

Just also ensure that yout film is flat, if it isn't then keep it inside a big book a few days.

This was scanned with emulsion up and it has several newton rings, for example under the van: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125592...posted-public/ (this was my first 8x10 shot.)

This one (my second shot) was scanned with emulsion down (with the area guide alone), no newton ring: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125592...posted-public/ (this was the second one).

Film is HP5 in both cases.

Some 8x10 color films require wet mounting on glass to avoid newton rings, because emulsion side is also very smooth, but it's really easy to do it. Anyway, with a drum you need also to wet mount...

Quote Originally Posted by pkr1979 View Post
    Im not familiar with the 1680 Pro, how does it differ from the V700?
    Yeah, sorry, I forget these new Epson scanners have that calibration area. The 1680 Pro (about 15 years old now) just has a bed of glass. I run painter's tape around the edges to keep scanner fluid from sneaking under there.

I use an Epson V750.

I have an Epson V700, and for 8X10 I just the put the neg down directly on the glass. So far, no problems.