Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite photographers and genres?

Re: Your favorite photographers and genres?

uh oh!

Here goes.

I visited this 2016 ARTIC photo exhibit 3 times with friends and family. I copied a lot of it with cell phone. (allowed)

Then I took to see this right upstairs.

of course it's all not art...

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I have a renewed interest in Nan Goldin and her recent protests.
    Tin Can

I agree that opioids are OK for 85% and not for 15%.

I also have 'needed' them and did not become addicted. I want to be able to get them when I need them again and i will.

I also want what Aldous Huxley took on his deathbed. When I need it, but I prefer Valhalla the traditional way. Not always possible. Moe is a town in Norway, where my lineage hails.

Not now of course, but I did take both the red pill and the blue pill at different times

Lot of secret saints my age who deny a lot of things...

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    I had no idea she was doing this. She lost me with her mission statement:

As someone who has lived with pain every waking hour for the last 25 years, her approach isn't helpful. 'Training' doctors to not prescribe opioids because some people abuse them leads to chronic under-treatment of pain, which in turn leads desperate people living with pain to buy off the black market, which leads to people dying of Fentanyl overdoses from using counterfeit opioids of varying degrees of purity. Opioids are both a first- and last- line defense against pain, they are far less harmful to your body over the long term than what they want docs to prescribe instead, NSAIDs. Which also kill hundreds of thousands, in fact my father-in-law very nearly died from kidney failure a couple years ago from one, and I nearly died of a bleeding ucler 20 years ago, again from an NSAID. I now have to take a whole cocktail of drugs to deal with the side-effects of long-term NSAID use. I have bone damage from rather short-term corticosteroid use. But no damage whatsoever from long-term opioid use, nor have I ever had an 'overdose' from being prescribed opioids to manage chronic pain.

The fact that a few people are susceptible to addiction from using them (roughly 10%) and that a fraction of those 10% do become 'addicts' in the classic sense (using them to 'get high') is not grounds to deny people in pain the safest and most effective treatment option for their pain. We don't ban alcohol which has similar addictive properties and arguably no health benefits, despite it killing far more people than opioids. In a trivial sense, any drug that successfully treats a patient's pain will be addictive, in that a person will experience negative physical and emotional effects when the drug is taken from them. That doesn't mean that the majority of people dying from opioids are addicts, because they aren't. The typical Fentanyl overdose victim is a 45-50 year old male construction worker. Someone whose body is being destroyed by his job, can't afford to quit, and can't get adequate treatment through the medical profession. The same people who buy black market Oxycodone.

There are timed-release formulations that are much less susceptible to abuse, and Purdue Pharma's sin was in marketing a highly-addictive drug claiming it wasn't addictive, displacing those other opioids which actually are (nearly) non-addictive. Any 'solution' to the so-called 'opioid crisis' that doesn't put the patients' needs first isn't a solution at all.
    Tin Can

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Not now of course, but I did take both the red pill and the blue pill at different times

Lot of secret saints my age who deny a lot of things...
    I have ho quarrel with people who want to get high, for whatever reason. They say before you judge a man, you should walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you judge him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Good to know!

I was referring to a distant past and reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    I have ho quarrel with people who want to get high, for whatever reason. They say before you judge a man, you should walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you judge him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.
    Tin Can

Richard Misrach and his Desert Cantos series.

George Tice, Ansel, Evelyn Hofer

Ansel, E. Weston, D. Lang, Imogen Cunningham, Doremus Scudder.
    Principal Unix System Engineer, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

Britt, Jackson, Watkins, and the usual suspects of the period.
    Contemporary photographers/genres -- too many to have a favorite. Any that I might name would just be the ones I have been exposed to, have met, worked with, or have worshipped from afar. After this many years, the list is too long to list...and not long enough to say I know enough to have favorites.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    I forgot to mention August Sander. One of my favorite.
    Agreed !!

Photographers I'm currently looking at (not all LF):
    Robert Adams, Lewis Baltz, Mark Ruwedel, Jeff Brouws, Stephen Shore. Plus Lee Friedlander and William Eggleston. Also interested in artists who take pictures, but aren't exclusively photographers, e.g., Ed Ruscha and Roni Horn.