Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 58 of 58

Thread: Your favorite photographers and genres?

  1. #51
    (Shrek)
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    1,596

    Re: Your favorite photographers and genres?

    Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I have a renewed interest in Nan Goldin and her recent protests.
    I had no idea she was doing this. She lost me with her mission statement:

    We demand that they reeducate doctors to stop over-prescribing these medications except for patients who are in extreme pain
    As someone who has lived with pain every waking hour for the last 25 years, her approach isn't helpful. 'Training' doctors to not prescribe opioids because some people abuse them leads to chronic under-treatment of pain, which in turn leads desperate people living with pain to buy off the black market, which leads to people dying of Fentanyl overdoses from using counterfeit opioids of varying degrees of purity. Opioids are both a first- and last- line defense against pain, they are far less harmful to your body over the long term than what they want docs to prescribe instead, NSAIDs. Which also kill hundreds of thousands, in fact my father-in-law very nearly died from kidney failure a couple years ago from one, and I nearly died of a bleeding ucler 20 years ago, again from an NSAID. I now have to take a whole cocktail of drugs to deal with the side-effects of long-term NSAID use. I have bone damage from rather short-term corticosteroid use. But no damage whatsoever from long-term opioid use, nor have I ever had an 'overdose' from being prescribed opioids to manage chronic pain.

    The fact that a few people are susceptible to addiction from using them (roughly 10%) and that a fraction of those 10% do become 'addicts' in the classic sense (using them to 'get high') is not grounds to deny people in pain the safest and most effective treatment option for their pain. We don't ban alcohol which has similar addictive properties and arguably no health benefits, despite it killing far more people than opioids. In a trivial sense, any drug that successfully treats a patient's pain will be addictive, in that a person will experience negative physical and emotional effects when the drug is taken from them. That doesn't mean that the majority of people dying from opioids are addicts, because they aren't. The typical Fentanyl overdose victim is a 45-50 year old male construction worker. Someone whose body is being destroyed by his job, can't afford to quit, and can't get adequate treatment through the medical profession. The same people who buy black market Oxycodone.


    There are timed-release formulations that are much less susceptible to abuse, and Purdue Pharma's sin was in marketing a highly-addictive drug claiming it wasn't addictive, displacing those other opioids which actually are (nearly) non-addictive. Any 'solution' to the so-called 'opioid crisis' that doesn't put the patients' needs first isn't a solution at all.


    Edit: I don't view this as a political subject, as it transcends political parties and national boundaries. It's a human subject. Nor do I judge an artist's art based on their activism in their personal life; the fact that I disagree with Goldin on this subject does not cause me to view her photographs any differently. I simply wish she would speak with chronic pain patients before crusading to remove their meds from the market. The desire to 'do something' about a problem that is killing thousands every year is very human and laudable, unfortunately doing something just for the sake of doing something is rarely helpful.

  2. #52
    Randy Moe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    10,559

    Re: Your favorite photographers and genres?

    uh oh!

    Here goes.

    I visited this 2016 ARTIC photo exhibit 3 times with friends and family. I copied a lot of it with cell phone. (allowed)

    Then I took to see this right upstairs.

    of course it's all not art...

    Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I have a renewed interest in Nan Goldin and her recent protests.
    TIN CAN COLLEGE

  3. #53
    Randy Moe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    10,559

    Re: Your favorite photographers and genres?

    I agree that opioids are OK for 85% and not for 15%.

    I also have 'needed' them and did not become addicted. I want to be able to get them when I need them again and i will.

    I also want what Aldous Huxley took on his deathbed. When I need it, but I prefer Valhalla the traditional way. Not always possible. Moe is a town in Norway, where my lineage hails.

    Not now of course, but I did take both the red pill and the blue pill at different times

    Lot of secret saints my age who deny a lot of things...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    I had no idea she was doing this. She lost me with her mission statement:



    As someone who has lived with pain every waking hour for the last 25 years, her approach isn't helpful. 'Training' doctors to not prescribe opioids because some people abuse them leads to chronic under-treatment of pain, which in turn leads desperate people living with pain to buy off the black market, which leads to people dying of Fentanyl overdoses from using counterfeit opioids of varying degrees of purity. Opioids are both a first- and last- line defense against pain, they are far less harmful to your body over the long term than what they want docs to prescribe instead, NSAIDs. Which also kill hundreds of thousands, in fact my father-in-law very nearly died from kidney failure a couple years ago from one, and I nearly died of a bleeding ucler 20 years ago, again from an NSAID. I now have to take a whole cocktail of drugs to deal with the side-effects of long-term NSAID use. I have bone damage from rather short-term corticosteroid use. But no damage whatsoever from long-term opioid use, nor have I ever had an 'overdose' from being prescribed opioids to manage chronic pain.

    The fact that a few people are susceptible to addiction from using them (roughly 10%) and that a fraction of those 10% do become 'addicts' in the classic sense (using them to 'get high') is not grounds to deny people in pain the safest and most effective treatment option for their pain. We don't ban alcohol which has similar addictive properties and arguably no health benefits, despite it killing far more people than opioids. In a trivial sense, any drug that successfully treats a patient's pain will be addictive, in that a person will experience negative physical and emotional effects when the drug is taken from them. That doesn't mean that the majority of people dying from opioids are addicts, because they aren't. The typical Fentanyl overdose victim is a 45-50 year old male construction worker. Someone whose body is being destroyed by his job, can't afford to quit, and can't get adequate treatment through the medical profession. The same people who buy black market Oxycodone.


    There are timed-release formulations that are much less susceptible to abuse, and Purdue Pharma's sin was in marketing a highly-addictive drug claiming it wasn't addictive, displacing those other opioids which actually are (nearly) non-addictive. Any 'solution' to the so-called 'opioid crisis' that doesn't put the patients' needs first isn't a solution at all.
    TIN CAN COLLEGE

  4. #54
    (Shrek)
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    1,596

    Re: Your favorite photographers and genres?

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Not now of course, but I did take both the red pill and the blue pill at different times

    Lot of secret saints my age who deny a lot of things...
    I have ho quarrel with people who want to get high, for whatever reason. They say before you judge a man, you should walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you judge him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

  5. #55
    Randy Moe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    10,559

    Re: Your favorite photographers and genres?

    Good to know!

    I was referring to a distant past and reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    I have ho quarrel with people who want to get high, for whatever reason. They say before you judge a man, you should walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you judge him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.
    TIN CAN COLLEGE

  6. #56

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    96

    Re: Your favorite photographers and genres?

    Richard Misrach and his Desert Cantos series.

  7. #57
    hornstenj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    digital nomad.
    Posts
    51

    Re: Your favorite photographers and genres?

    // photographers who understand the question

    Bayard (1801 – 1887)
    Heinecken (1931 – 2006)
    Baldessari. (1931 —)
    Uelsmann ( 1934 — )
    Sultan (1946- 2009)
    Wall (1946 - )
    Mandel (1950 —)
    Sherman (1954- )
    Eaton (1977 — )

    ----
    Larry was kind enough to introduce me to the person who taught me dye transfer. He wasn't even my teacher, but he called people for me to set in motion much of what I've been doing for almost 10 years.

    p51
    jen

    ##fin

  8. #58

    Join Date
    Feb 1999
    Posts
    595

    Re: Your favorite photographers and genres?

    George Tice, Ansel, Evelyn Hofer

Similar Threads

  1. Your 5 favorite large format COLOR photographers?
    By rustyair in forum On Photography
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 22-May-2013, 10:47
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 9-Mar-2012, 13:34
  3. Favorite Floral/still life photographers
    By elohim in forum On Photography
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-Jul-2009, 13:18

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •