Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Your favorite photographers and genres?

Re: Your favorite photographers and genres?

Photographers I'm currently looking at (not all LF):
    Robert Adams, Lewis Baltz, Mark Ruwedel, Jeff Brouws, Stephen Shore. Plus Lee Friedlander and William Eggleston. Also interested in artists who take pictures, but aren't exclusively photographers, e.g., Ed Ruscha and Roni Horn.

I recently discovered Jon Paul's photography for myself.

My first photographic loves were Eugene Atget, Sally Mann and Mary Ellen Mark.

I soon fell in love with Cartier-Bresson, Kertesz, Friedlander, Frank, Walker Evans, Bill Brandt, Josef Sudek. I've soft-spots for Witkin, the Bernd and Hilla Becher, Winogrand, Julia Margaret Cameron, Irving Penn, Diane Arbus, August Sander, Harry Callahan, Stephen Shore, William Klein...

I could go on and on. My real photographic love has always been looking at photographs - whilst producing photographs is fun and rewarding I get a more profound reward from looking at photographs - I like slightly arid, boring, photographs, that slowly reveal themselves. Atget does this - most of his photos are quite dull at first sight, but if you stay with them, if you take them seriously, all of a sudden they can blossom into a miraculous but subtle beauty.

I guess my tastes are 'formalist' - and, yes, I tend to go for black and white work - not that I dislike colour, but I think colour can very easily submerge the compositional element of photography, colour being such a dominant and visceral thing, it - compositions have to be bolder to make themselves felt. I think Stephen Shore is an exception to this.

Muttley

Thumbs up Re: Your favorite photographers and genres?

Arthur Fellig