Thread: Removing Compound shutter from lens board

Removing Compound shutter from lens board

Good day everyone,

I browsed around the forum for a thread addressing this problem and I couldn't find anything. I hope that you might be able to help me out and apologise in advance if this is something you have discussed before.

I have an old Compound shutter (see photo attached) that I need to detach from the lens board. Unfortunately, it seems that the two pieces are held together by two sets of screws: one on the back of the lens board, the other on the front. The screws on the back are easy to remove, those on the front are not accessible.

I was wondering whether I need to disassemble the shutter to eventually reach the screws on the front of the lens board, or there is an easier way. If I try to unscrew the board, it doesn't budge.

Many thanks,
    Guido
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails compund_shutter-front.jpg   compound_shutter-back.jpg  

Re: Removing Compound shutter from lens board

Have you tried to just unscrew the shutter from the flange on the back of the board?

First, what Bob S said.

What appear to be screw ends on the back might be simply locator pins. Try turning the three rear screws almost all the way out, then tap each with modest force to see if the board separates a bit from the ring. If it does, then remove the three screws and gently pry it away from the back side. I use plastic tools for prying.

Thank you Bob and Jack for your reply and advice!

Unfortunately, it seems that the shutter is attached to the lens board by means of two sets of screws (no pins on the front). Please see image attached.
    The lens originally attached to the shutter was a Schneider Tele-Xenar 360 f/5.5, signed Linhof. Could that be reason for the unusual use of a double set of screws – this lens was probably factory-assembled?

At any rate, I need to remove the lens board because it doesn't fit into the front standard of my Intrepid Camera by one millimetre. Do you think I can file the lens board with the lens and shutter attached? One millimetre is not that much after all...
    Thank you,
    Guido

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compund_shutter-front_2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	187172

The shutter is held to the board by one of two means... The rear shutter threads either thread to a retaining ring that holds the board, or it looks like there is a flange is screwed down to the board, and the shutter is screwed to it... Linhof usually did this, and machined a spacer ring between so the rotation of the shutter stopped in just the right orientation with the top up...

You might have to get a very tiny amount of penetrate oil or acetone into the thread with a hypodermic needle and try rotating counterclockwise, maybe with the help of a rubber strap wrench... Sometimes freezing then warming in room temp will help...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    First, what Bob S said.

What appear to be screw ends on the back might be simply locator pins. Try turning the three rear screws almost all the way out, then tap each with modest force to see if the board separates a bit from the ring. If it does, then remove the three screws and gently pry it away from the back side. I use plastic tools for prying.
    The screws on the back of the board are because the Linhof board is thin (like 1.5mm), and not thick enough to properly thread, so they attached a flange to the board that the shutter can rotate thread on to. ..

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    The shutter is held to the board by one of two means... The rear shutter threads either thread to a retaining ring that holds the board, or it looks like there is a flange is screwed down to the board, and the shutter is screwed to it... Linhof usually did this, and machined a spacer ring between so the rotation of the shutter stopped in just the right orientation with the top up...

You might have to get a very tiny amount of penetrate oil or acetone into the thread with a hypodermic needle and try rotating counterclockwise, maybe with the help of a rubber strap wrench... Sometimes freezing then warming in room temp will help...

Steve K
    No spacer ring for positioning. They just positioned the flange so the lens ended up with scales on top before boring and screwing it down!