63 34.43%
  • over 61

79 43.17%
  • other

4 2.19%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll 2019: Age at last birthday

Re: Poll 2019: Age at last birthday

Did my first LF at age 28, when it was suggested that I dress up as an "old timey newspaper photographer" for a costume. Of course I couldn't do this like a "normal" person, so I went on eBay and bought myself a Graflex Crown Graphic. Of course I quickly transitioned to just using a 120 roll back with that camera, since shooting and processing 4x5 in an HP Combi-Plan was getting a bit tedious for "casual party/event photos".

I'm now finally gearing up to get back into it at age 37, since I'm no longer apprehensive about mailing my film off to a non-local lab.

Started in 1954 at age 10 in London, England where I was born. My grandfather was an avid amateur photographer and my Uncle Ron was a newspaper/magazine photographer who gave me an old VN press camera that used 9 X 12 glass plates to get me on the photography road. Still travelling on that road and trying to capture a photograph I can be proud of.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    So is the 1 other under 18 or 61?
    There is only one choice: Under 18
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Logical Spock!

INMO the survey should have been by increments of 10, starting at 0 as some may have started or are already using LF at that tender age. I first used film at age 7 and would have loved LF as no enlarger necessary.

High end could be 120 as we have members here over 90.

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    There is only one choice: Under 18
    Tin Can

I remember when I was seven and my parents took all six kids to have their photo taken at the local park. We sat or stood for good 10 or more minutes to allow the photographer (behind this big wooden box and covering his head with a black blanket) take, develop and print our photo. At the end, he came out with a 4x5 or similar size contact print that he put in a tray with water on a bench. Then he hanged it up and asked us to come back after the movies to pick up the photo. The box had a camera, and a dark room to develop, and print. Does anyone remember those cameras? Five years later, I started developing roll film at my friends' mom studio. For years, I shot Pentax and developed film until replaced by the video camera to shoot the kids in movement. Somewhere, I have dozens of Beta and VHS film that we have not seen in years. Then when things got better, I could afford my Leicas, which was the best thing ever, until I tried finally LF, after retirement. It took a long way, but I still can carry my heavy tripod and my 14 pound 8x10 pinhole camera. Hopefully, I will be getting one of those Intrepid 8x10 (5 pounds) to shoot with a lens.

oldphoto by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

20180416_200336 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Wrong thread but here goes.

At least one member here uses an Afghan camera. Your photographer may have used a variation.

Video Demo https://youtu.be/18-5xaVfhR8
    Tin Can

Turned 50 end of last year. Only doing 4x5 for a year and a bit. Started with 35mm, went digital beginning 2000's and went back to film. But MF then. Since then I started a small collection camera's and enjoy using them. But the last years I'm slowly working up the size. From 4.5x6 to 6x9 to 6x17 and now then 4x5. But for practical reasons it will have to stop here.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

We are old farts, aren't we??
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

I would like to know how many of the "over 61" category still go backpacking and camping for at least one day. I have tried unsuccessfully.

I never liked using a backpack at any time in my life. I have used them while camping from very young. Scout's honor.

I think backpacks are very unhealthy for all the children lugging them around.

Last time I slept on the ground was age 63, now I have an RV.

And I do have a Go Pack and am always prepared.
    Tin Can