Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cameras with rear tilt only.

Cameras with rear tilt only.

My question is what is the reason to have rear only movements on a view camera? I'm thinking of a camera like a Kodak 2D. I've always used rear tilt to straighten verticals but then have to also use the front tilt bring the front and rear back into parallel with each other for focus. It seems any rear movement would also need front movement to correct focus. Am I missing something?

Re: Cameras with rear tilt only.

Rear tilts and swings let you control the shape of objects, as you discovered! They also do Scheimflug, as do front tilts and swings.

I don't think that the" Kodak 2D" was not intended to be a do-all technical camera. I suspect that they were primarily used in routine studio portraiture.

I have used my 2D to do some nie work with table top compositions. To simulate front tilt, the whole csmera is tilted down and the rear standard is tilted back to vertical. Not ideal, but can be made to work.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I have been using a 5x7 Eastman View No.2 for awhile...rear tilt and swing and front rise/fall, all geared movements. One gets use to it.

One can get front tilt by tilting the camera down slightly, then tilting the back to vertical...but most of my images are landscapes and the verticals are rarely straight or otherwise not critical to get straight. If I need to I will tilt the back to mimic the effect of tilting the front lens forward, and a little more rarely, the back swing. I pay attention to the slight distortions of the image caused by these movements and they become part of the final image.

My other view cameras have both front and back tilt, and I do find having both is much easier. Adding front swing/tilt adds weight to the camera and possible sources of instability. Without front tilt and swing, the front can be very stable...and can hold heavier lenses, I suppose.
    Last edited by Vaughn; 31-Jan-2019 at 22:40.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

For parallel movements you raise or lower the front standard on a camera like that.

On my Century, I actually reversed the tilt-stops side-to-side to allow more backward then forward tilt. This was better for landscape photography. Any relationship between front and rear standard is possible with that camera (though some configurations are limited in degree).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear tilt improved.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	187114

I suspect that the reason for no front tilts was because they use up lens coverage quickly, where back movements do not. Early lenses like rapid rectilinears did not usually have the massive coverage of modern lenses.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    I suspect that the reason for no front tilts was because they use up lens coverage quickly, where back movements do not. Early lenses like rapid rectilinears did not usually have the massive coverage of modern lenses.
    You referring to base tilts, center tilts or asymmetric tilts?

Hoi zäme,

1. you have a defined weight on the rear standard (standard, groundglass, film holder) whereas there could be different lenses plus the shutter on the front, that have different weight - which is why the front has to be sturdier than the back.

2. the movements on the rear standards are on the operator-side of the camera. This is usefull when using lenses with long focal length

3. moving the lens forwards or backwards implies changing of the magnificion ratio.

4. you can extend the focusing bed in one direction when focusing only one standard

5. when folding the camera the lens stays on its place (18x24 FKDs are quite small when folded)

6. when you tilt the camera down and the rear standard back you already have some shift downwards with your lens what is useful.

Tschau zäme

Quote Originally Posted by rich caramadre View Post
    ... It seems any rear movement would also need front movement to correct focus. Am I missing something?
    The only thing that determines the image projection is the relative position of front and back. "Correct focus" is simply where you want it. In theory, you can get the same plane in focus with front tilt, back tilt or both together. The image changes perspective with back movements, however.

You can use your pan/tilt head to position the "front tilt" and then compensate with the back. For a landscape where you want near/far in focus, tilt down a bit with the tripod head and then use back tilt to bring the back vertical (assuming you want it vertical) This would be the same as just using front tilt. Or use a bit of both. It's a bit more difficult working that way, though.

For keeping parallels straight, set up with the back parallel to the work and then use front rise (different than pointing and tilting, but the same result). This is actually easier than point/tilt.

The reason most older cameras don't have front tilts/swings is that they didn't get used that much with the lenses of the time, which had very little coverage, as mentioned above. Any tilt or swing at the lens stage (asymmetrical or whatever) points the lens off-axis and needs extra coverage to work; if your lens doesn't have any, then the image gets vignetted. Back tilts and swings stay within the projected cone of the lens unless rise/fall is used.

Best,

Doremus

Quite honestly I have never missed front movement on my 2Ds. Tilt camera down and use the back. Then again I very very seldom use it on my 4x5 F1 or calument NX. Assuming I ever clean off the area of the house I was planning to use as a little still life studio this will change.

You get used to working within the parameters of your camera.