Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ilford Multigrade 500

Re: Ilford Multigrade 500

I find it interesting that they kept the same designation for the light source (500 H) even though they changed the lamp amps output. In my case the head, 500 H, has 300 watt bulb but the plug for it has all slotted pins and no round pin. The head came from Canada and the rest of the system from the USA. Someone suggested that may be the reason for the difference because the use a different electrical system (?). I don't know but it's an interesting explanation. I haven't heard from anyone who has the 150W system to confirm that their pins are the slotted kind. Thanks for the reply and pics. How long have you had your system?

It looks like you have a Besler enlarger? If so, did the lamp fit on it directly or did you have to get an adapter? thanks

RE 150 VS 300 bulbs Attached are a couple pages which document the change. So yes the early heads can be used with 300w bulbs if they have the extra heat shield. The power supply is capable of handling them. Early power supplies were rated at 400W newer ones at 600W but they all used the same fuses and and far as I can tell the same transformer. (Yes I have had a few apart and repaired them). Also attached is a chart of power usage I made a while back. The highest usage was 490w, not a problem.
    RE Canada VS USA There is virtually no difference in the wiring/power standards now. In the past maybe. I recall some equipment needed wiring changes re grounding or wire gauge. Note that I have only seen I think one power supply with a current CSA/UL approval mark. Older ones have none or were locally inspected with a provincial sticker. This was/is common for equipment that is not a major consumer item.
    Re Beseler 45 adapter: There is a flat metal plate that goes between the enlarger and the Ilford head. You remove the locking clamps on the enlarger that hold the other heads in place. Four screws then hold the plate to the enlarger then four more in the corners hold the head in place. I have seen pictures/measurements on some forums if google doesn't help, I'd have to take mine apart. Also keep in mind the mixing boxes vary depending on the enlarger. I have seen several different versions. The differnce is in the drop down amount. The Beseler 4x5 box is actually in two pieces.

Hope this help a bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ilford_500H_Multigrade_Head.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	187212

Name:	Ilford_500H_Multigrade_Head_figure.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	187213

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	187214

Archive quality post, thanks for sharing.

I just went out to the garage to take some more photos of my spare units and things have become even more complex as there appear to be *at least* three different versions of the 500S/500H combination.

As documented before there is an early version that was designed to be used with 150w ESD globes and had a plug with 8 flat pins. This power supply is rated at 400W. There was a later version designed to be used with 300w ELH globes and had a plug with 7 flat pins and one round pin. This power supply was rated at 600w.

There is also an in between version that can use either type of globe and has a plug with 8 flat pins. That power supply is rated at 600w.

The first type is labeled "ILFORD ILFOSPEED MULTIGRADE", the second type is labelled "ILFORD MULTIGRADE" while the third version has "ILFORD" and "MULTIGRADE" in separate locations. The third type of power supply is also wider than the first two.

Firstly, the plugs:

Name:	plugs.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	187241

The power supplies:

Name:	power_supplies.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	187242

Name:	power_supplies_2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	187243

The heads (Type 2 and Type 3)

Name:	500H_type_2_and_3.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	187244

Finally, the label on the type 2 head:

Name:	500H_type_2_label.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	187245

A lot of false information in this topic.
    Ilford produced at least 3 versions of the Ilford 500 system and you can find many versions of the manual.
    Only the latest version is with the 7 flat pins + 1 round pin. All this latest version was labeled "Ilford Multigrade 500H" in front of the head. Sticker on back indicate that you can use 150W or 300W bulbs.
    The very first version of Ilford 500 head use 150W bulbs only. They was 8 flat pins and labeled "Ilford Ilfospeed Multigrade 500H" in front of the head and sticker indicate the use of 150W bulb only. Usually matched with 400W power supply.
    The second generation was also 8 flat pins. Sticker on back indicate that you can use 150W or 300W bulbs. 300W possibility was added around the serial number 5H1 1471. A lot of confusion about this second generation as a batch was labeled "Ilford Ilfospeed Multigrade 500H" (serial "5H1") and a batch was labeled "Ilford Multigrade 500H" (from serial 5H2). All the 300W heads was originally matched with 600W power supply. Best to use this power supply even if the 400w can be acceptable as you never use the 2 bulbs at the full power as they dim with the grade used.
    Resume for the head:
    Ilford Ilfospeed Multigrade 500H = 8 flat pins. Sticker on the back of the head said if you can used 300W bulbs or 150W bulbs only with your unit.
    Ilford Multigrade 500H = 8 flat pins or 7 flat +1 round pin. All can be used with 300W bulbs.
    Below is an example of an Ilford Ilfospeed Multigrade 500H that can use 300W bulbs. Connector is 8 flats pins.

For the power supply:
    Better to find 600W power supply if you wish to use 300W bulbs. But you need to match the head connector as power supply 600W was produced in both 8 flat pins and the latest 7 flat +1 round pins. Every seller should give information about the connector, in pictures or in description, if not indicated you should ask.
    No problem that it came from USA or Canada, all are 120V.

For the controller:
    You can use a 500C or a 500CPM on any generation of heads and Power supply (even with the Ilford HLE 8x10 version). The 500CPM offer more options for the programmation and generally preferred for the raised button for exposure. But take care if you buy a CPM that it came with its cable. In comparaison 500C cable is not removable from the unit.
    Footswitch and exposure probe will also fit on all controllers.

For the Beseler 45, you can use the Ilford head with the condenser or without condenser. If you use in diffusion mode without condenser, you will need the light mixing boxes with a drop of 45mm below the rest points. Idea is that the diffusion box was the nearest to the carrier. With the condenser, you use flush boxes.
    For the adapter plate see the image below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0506.jpg   IMG_0509.jpg   BeselerAdaptor.jpg  
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

Ilford supplied specific kits for some enlargers and I think there was also a generic version. The Beseler 45 kit had a flat adapter that would be easy to make but also had specific mixing boxes that protruded down below the bottom of the head. The 4x5 box had an upper and lower section as it would not have fitted into the head if made in one piece. At a guess, these were tailored for optimum performance with the enlarger but any of the 4x5 boxes would probably work just fine with some small reduction in light output.

Beseler 45 adapter (top), Omega 6x7 below.

Name:	adapter_plates.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	187247

Mixing boxes L-R, Beseler 45, Durst L1200, generic

Name:	mb45_bes_1200_138.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	187248

Maybe there was some mixing and matching either pre- or post-sale. Mine appears to be the later version, having 300 watt lamps and the 8 flat pins connector, yet the controller (which has recently died on me ) is the earlier version labelled 500C.

Thanks for the clarification Ginette. However, the head that I acquired was marked 500 H and the lamps were marked as 300 watt but it had the 8 flat pins. I would also swear that it said it was a 600 output but that may have come from the seller. So, I don't know where this unit fits into this mess. I was unaware of this problem prior to purchasing. The seller of the light source informed me that the unit had 8 pins. The person selling me the power supply told me it had 8 pins. Neither one of these guys were familiar with system to know these finer details. I learned the hard way. Is it possible to splice on the proper pins? Some have said I could and others said no.