Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum scanning negatives developed in PMK Pyro

Drum scanning negatives developed in PMK Pyro

Hi all,

For many years I've been digitising C41 and BW 4x5" film with my Imacon 949, but now shooting primarily 8x10" I need to send film out for high end scanning.

I'm wanting to drum scan a batch of BW negatives, mostly HP5+ and some FP4+ sheets, all processed in PMK pyro. Now, I know these are no problem to scan using the Imacon, but I'm wondering if the wet mounting process and fluid is totally safe with PMK and easily cleaned off afterwards? In other words, are there any tricks for the uninitiated that I need to know about that might know about before committing to sending the film out?

I ask mainly because I'm inexperienced with drum scanning in general, and want to ensure that the pyro stain of PMK will not react somehow when coming in contact with the mounting fluid. I know that tonally things will be okay.

Thanks for your help,

Tim

Re: Drum scanning negatives developed in PMK Pyro

I have scanned many negatives by wet mounting using my V850 and have had zero issues with the fluid. I use Kami scan fluid which is same for drum scanning. You should be fine. I also do not clean off my negatives afterward, but you can if desired.

Pyro development 'tans' and hardens the gelatin. The stain is contained within the gelatin layer- it's not painted on top- so you should have no problems with a pyro negative. But perhaps someone here will have had direct experience with drum scanning, and will chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    I have scanned many negatives by wet mounting using my V850 and have had zero issues with the fluid. I use Kami scan fluid which is same for drum scanning. You should be fine. I also do not clean off my negatives afterward, but you can if desired.
    Same here...

I have scanned hundreds of pyro stained negatives with fluid mounting. Stain has never been a problem for me with Kami or similar type fluids.

Kami does leave a slight residue on the film that should probably be cleaned off.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I have scanned hundreds of pyro stained negatives with fluid mounting. Stain has never been a problem for me with Kami or similar type fluids.

Kami does leave a slight residue on the film that should probably be cleaned off.

Sandy
    I need to check that out. I will probabky need to wipe my scanned negs off, unless reisdue is not harmful.

The only times I've seen residue with Kami fluid is when I let the negative sit after pulling it off the scanner. Nowadays, I hold it by one corner and gently wave it through the air until I see all the excess fluid evaporate. I think, maybe, the key is to have the fluid evaporate as quickly as possible.

Great, thanks all.

Probably deserves another thread-if it doesn’t already exist-but are Heidelberg drum scanners good? I’m looking at a lab who offer up to 2400dpi for 8x10”. I guess this might not be the max resolution the scanner is capable of, but that’s the max they list on their price list for 8x10” film.

Poste note: it’s a Heidelberg Chroma Graph s3400 Drum Scanner.
    Last edited by Tim V; 31-Jan-2019 at 01:11.

A Hell Chroma Graph 3400 is the one of the best scanners, a step above everything else I've used, including Dainippon Screen, Howtek, and Heidelberg D8400/TangoXL. You will not be disappointed, assuming the operator is competent. Which lab is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    The only times I've seen residue with Kami fluid is when I let the negative sit after pulling it off the scanner. Nowadays, I hold it by one corner and gently wave it through the air until I see all the excess fluid evaporate. I think, maybe, the key is to have the fluid evaporate as quickly as possible.
    Funny, I do the same thing.