Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Waterhouse Stop Fabrication Alternatives in 2019?

Re: Waterhouse Stop Fabrication Alternatives in 2019?

See if there are any model RR groups or clubs in your area. Many of have and use something like a Silhouette CAMEO 3 (Ultimate DYI Cutting Machine) to cut parts for their model buildings. I've bartered photographing their model train setup for some minor machining in the past. Also consider using thin black plastic instead of metal... lot easier to cut and in either case you will be most likely spraying the Waterhouse stops flat black.

Tracy Storer has WHS all figured out and he has made several sets.
    See this post.

If anyone would like to try sculpteo or one of the other services, I would be able to provide a model with the correct file types. All I need is a basic drawing with some dimensions.

Just thought i'd chime in for anyone looking to make their own Waterhouse stops without access to a machine like a CNC. For mine I used black Polystyrene sheets which can be found online or at a local hobby shop. They are used in model making and come in different sizes and thicknesses.
    All you'll need is a pencil, ruler, exacto blade & a compass for making those perfect circles.
    Measure out your dimensions, score the plastic and snap or cut. If I remember, I scored the circles and then cut with a sharp knife. Edges can be sanded afterwards.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0308.jpg   IMG_0310.jpg   IMG_0312.jpg   IMG_0309.jpg  

Many +++ to Soomuu.

I think our OP would like something in which he could input focal length, diameter of WH position and come up with a ready-made CNC file to send to one of the many shops who would make them. (I would choose Delrin as the material.)

The significant downside of such is that not many people have the instrument or expertise to accurately measure. That's the only thing keeping me from offering such a service.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    ... I think our OP would like something in which he could input focal length, diameter of WH position and come up with a ready-made CNC file to send to one of the many shops who would make them. (I would choose Delrin as the material.)...
    About 5 or 6 dial caliper measurements should provide the necessary input data to generate a CAD file that can be laser cut. My intent is to pursue two or three alternatives and a couple folks have volunteered to help. In a few weeks, we should know if there is a relatively turnkey solution that is ready for prime time... if there is, the results and the how you can do too will be shared so that it might be an option for you in the future.
    Last edited by Jay Decker; 2-Feb-2019 at 19:05.

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

I have used cardstock to make mine.
    I use two different tools to cut the holes

This one from OLFA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMTgmBRWhXw

And something like this for the smaller ones: https://www.lojadomecanico.com.br/pr...-9-pol-eda-3eg

Yes!

I forgot that I saw a lot of ways to make holes at JoAnn's Fabrics who has stores everywhere in USA. https://www.joann.com/ They stock Fiskars.

http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Cra...Sewing/Punches has all kinds of great tools. Even a rotating matte board!

Just for reference as OP may have a way forward already.

Quote Originally Posted by coisasdavida View Post
    I have used cardstock to make mine.
    I use two different tools to cut the holes

This one from OLFA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMTgmBRWhXw

And something like this for the smaller ones: https://www.lojadomecanico.com.br/pr...-9-pol-eda-3eg
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post

I think our OP would like something in which he could input focal length, diameter of WH position and come up with a ready-made CNC file to send to one of the many shops who would make them. (I would choose Delrin as the material.)
    Ah yes, I just reread the OP's post that they did not want to pay someone to make nor spend the time to make their own. This is just my solution to my own lens that maybe some may find useful. I've made Waterhouse stops before using card stock but prefer this material to paper. These really did not take much effort or time and I quite enjoyed making them.

Quote Originally Posted by Soomuu View Post
    Ah yes, I just reread the OP's post that they did not want to pay someone to make nor spend the time to make their own.
    Close. There are nuances that I haven’t communicated well. First, I am willing to pay. And, I prefer to pay get a set of permanent stops made than spend the time to make a set of temporary stops. Regarding my time, the older I get, the more critical I am about what I spend time on, i.e., I’d rather spend more time photographing, printing and doing other creative things. I also don’t like to spend time to do things twice.

The nuance is that I’m looking for a more affordable set of permanent stops that will do the job, but don’t have to be really high quality, i.e., think Chevrolet instead of Mercedes-Benz. Why? There are two reasons. First, I have several lenses that need stops and I haven’t decided whether to keep those lenses yet. And, I’d prefer not spend the amount of money necessary to have a really nice set of permanent brass stops made for a lens - particularly a lens that I need to shoot with stops in order to decide whether I’m going to keep the lens and use it for the next 20 years. Additionally, as long as the stops work, I’d be happy using a set of Delrin (or some other material) stops for the rest of my LF career. And, if I end up deciding to sell the lens, the stops should be valued added to a purchaser.

Second, is my mentality. I while I love traditional large format photography and alternative (historical) photographic printing, I am just fine with laser cutting and CNC machining technology helping make the replacement bits and pieces to keep my antique cameras and lens going and doing so most affordably.