Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Copal 1 shutter repair

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Re: Copal 1 shutter repair

Samy's does not do the CLA or repair, they send it to a person close by in Anaheim. I spoke with that person ( a 72 year old who worked for Voigtlander, etc.). He will be doing CLA for my shutter. Here is the information:

CAMERA TECH OF ANAHEIM DIGITAL REPAIR

Camera repair shop in Anaheim, California
    Address: 1347 S Anaheim Blvd, Anaheim, CA 92805
    Hours: Noon to 5 pm (M-F)
    1pm - 4pm (Saturday)

Phone: (714) 535-0993

You will need to send the shutter in and he will look at it and tell you what he recommends. He told me usually, a CLA is less or around $100.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

I am wondering what are we going to do when all these old-timers are gone? Any new guys doing those repairs? At least Harry Fleenor taught his son, who works with him how to repair Rolleis. At least the Rolleiflex users will have someone with the know-how to go to. Bob: Is it to difficult to learn how to clean/repair shutters? I am retired, I may actually learn and do it. Any advice on how to get there, is appreciated.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    I am wondering what are we going to do when all these old-timers are gone? Any new guys doing those repairs? At least Harry Fleenor taught his son, who works with him how to repair Rolleis. At least the Rolleiflex users will have someone with the know-how to go to. Bob: Is it to difficult to learn how to clean/repair shutters? I am retired, I may actually learn and do it. Any advice on how to get there, is appreciated.
    As I never did repairs I can’t tell you how easy it is to learn. But I can tell you it is easy to screw one up!

The problem with Rollei repairs is that the factory was liquidated so parts are the problem. Any repairman, or woman, can repair a broken Rollei, if they have the required parts.

When Martin Arndt died I inventoried his repair parts with his wife. I then sold them all to Nippon in NYC. She sold the original Rollei repair tools afterward. But they were not required for a well equipped service center.

Re problems with getting parts on some cameras, I can tell you that Bob Watkins at PCW in Skokie has a fair amount of machining capability, so (within reason) he can modify or make parts as needed. On his Shutters & Lenses webpage he mentioned having parts for the more common shutters. ...
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post

Talk to their used camera departments.

And since you are in LA why didn’t you ask Samy’s?
    ... or Steve’s Camera Repair.

https://www.stevecamera.com/

Schneider / Century Optical in California is or was the distributor. I had them repair a train wreck 121 SA and replace the shutter. They were going to repair the shutter but it was warped. A couple of years ago the took a Fjinon that I have and was unsharp and put it on their optical bench and determined the element spacing was wrong and repaired it. The repaired it because it was in a Copal shutter.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    Schneider / Century Optical in California is or was the distributor. I had them repair a train wreck 121 SA and replace the shutter. They were going to repair the shutter but it was warped. A couple of years ago the took a Fjinon that I have and was unsharp and put it on their optical bench and determined the element spacing was wrong and repaired it. The repaired it because it was in a Copal shutter.
    Right behind the brewery!

But if memory serves, they got out of the repair business a long time ago. I could be wrong so this memory should be verified.

Carol at Flutot's has been my go to for the last few years for both Copal & Ilex 5s.

flutotscamera@earthlink.net

Mike
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    Samy's does not do the CLA or repair, they send it to a person close by in Anaheim. I spoke with that person ( a 72 year old who worked for Voigtlander, etc.). He will be doing CLA for my shutter. Here is the information:

CAMERA TECH OF ANAHEIM DIGITAL REPAIR

Camera repair shop in Anaheim, California
    Address: 1347 S Anaheim Blvd, Anaheim, CA 92805
    Hours: Noon to 5 pm (M-F)
    1pm - 4pm (Saturday)

Phone: (714) 535-0993

You will need to send the shutter in and he will look at it and tell you what he recommends. He told me usually, a CLA is less or around $100.
    I dropped by Copal 3 for a single CLA, and a Kodak Flashmatic on Friday for fixing something broken (the shutter release cable went in by it did not release the shutter). Today, I got both back, working like a charm. I paid $88 for the CLA, and $50 for the repair/replace the broken part of the Kodak. His recommendation was: not to carry the shutter release cable installed and coiled around the lens, in one of the bumps, it can break things. That is what apparently happened. Wow, three days and I am in business again.