Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have decided to make my office a clean room

Re: Have decided to make my office a clean room

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Steven, I understand, I hope you took my rant as tongue in cheek

I simply cannot SEE my dust! Literally...

So I take artistic license https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artistic_license

Nobody can match our in house expert, Topper

I am pretty sure I am a topper.

You might check into a good HEPA air filter and cut way back on the Ozone generating. Ozone and corrosion of some metals may be a problem.

On your floors, the cushioned vinyl types in a single sheet cover well and are easily cleaned. Added bonus is they are much easier on the back if you do much work standing on them.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Not at all, you strive for perfection, tell true stories with references and links.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    I am pretty sure I am a topper.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    You might check into a good HEPA air filter and cut way back on the Ozone generating. Ozone and corrosion of some metals may be a problem.

On your floors, the cushioned vinyl types in a single sheet cover well and are easily cleaned. Added bonus is they are much easier on the back if you do much work standing on them.
    Already use a hepa filter system. The air purifier and ionization will eliminate most of what is left. Part of the issue is static electricity and I live in a desert with almost no humidity! Not worried about any ozone generation.

Yeah, next year will be the flooring. Probably a good hardwood with a cushy backing as you suggest.

If you have black dust spots on the film when scanning, that's dust pre-exposure, which is 100% preventable by cleaning film holders and keeping the film holders sealed in antistatic bags when not in the camera, and making sure the camera innards are clean. If you have white dust spots when scanning, that's dust in your home and scanner.

If there is an area where we stand a lot or need to protect, we have area rugs or pads for that. Those are easier to keep clean than wall-to-wall carpeting. If I decide a rug is beyond cleaning, I can take it outside and beat the rug. if that is not sufficient, dispose of it and be on the lookout for a replacement. Due to allergies, old carpets are bad for me.

I have at home pine floors which are less expensive than hardwood but are not as rugged. I like the look better than hardwood and it's a totally subjective choice but it works for allergies and dust.

At one of my workplaces, we install manufactured bamboo flooring, which is 4" strips of laminate with bamboo on top. Again not as hard as oak or maple, but affordable and with a thick top layer should it need refinishing.

All these are white dots as you can see in the pictures

multiplex

Hi Steven:

I hate to ask, but how do you store your film holders and have you replaced the glass on your scanner yet ? I think you might be able to get replacement glass from the manufacturer. It might not be too hard to replace ( or there might be a repair guy near you to do it). You might consider doing the shop vac and alcohol treatment ( I think that is what it is ) on your film holders, and storing them in ziplock bags. Film holders can be a big time dust collector. I can't help you on how to keep your scanner glass clean, sadly mine is covered with dust and the inside surface has whatever that electronic haze is called ( schwee?) so...Good luck de-dustifying your place !

John

If dry air is part of the problem why not a humidifier so you can keep a constant level in the room? Should help cut down on dust as well as static. Using distilled water will keep from having deposits form on walls and such.
    I know from experience that regulating humidity can make a good difference in paper curling as well as exposure repeatability with some Alt processes.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    Hi Steven:

I hate to ask, but how do you store your film holders and have you replaced the glass on your scanner yet ? I think you might be able to get replacement glass from the manufacturer. It might not be too hard to replace ( or there might be a repair guy near you to do it). You might consider doing the shop vac and alcohol treatment ( I think that is what it is ) on your film holders, and storing them in ziplock bags. Film holders can be a big time dust collector. I can't help you on how to keep your scanner glass clean, sadly mine is covered with dust and the inside surface has whatever that electronic haze is called ( schwee?) so...Good luck de-dustifying your place !

John
    Store them covered up. My film holders are immaculate and cleaned before use. I also check the developed negatives and see zero indications of issues from film holders. My scanner is just shy of 1 year old. Once I get the rest of my anti-static gear, I am going to remove it, clean it and put back together, then redo the test, both top and bottom glass. Don't need replacement yet, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    If dry air is part of the problem why not a humidifier so you can keep a constant level in the room? Should help cut down on dust as well as static. Using distilled water will keep from having deposits form on walls and such.
    I know from experience that regulating humidity can make a good difference in paper curling as well as exposure repeatability with some Alt processes.
    I am getting a large humidifier as well as an ionizer/air purifier and a midi vac or similar to clean the carpets, etc till I get hardwood floors.