Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have decided to make my office a clean room

Re: Have decided to make my office a clean room

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    After a strident complaint regarding dusty scans from a chemistry lab prof, I suggested scanning in a 'bubble'. Fortunately the proposal was knocked down for $ reasons, but it's a good idea.

I was considering that route with a table top clean room. But it gets huge quick to fit everything in it with room work. Which is why I decided to just seal up my office and replace carpet and use an air purifier and humidifier and replace screen material with new stuff that stops dust from getting in. But, that bubble looks cool.

For those who have not seen pic, this is my scanner glass after cleaning with stoner glass cleaner, microfiber cloth, blowing off with bulb blower, using grounded kinetronics brush and finally using a sticky roller. If you reclean and then add ANR glass which was cleaned same way, there is zero improvement hence converting office to a clean at the most efficient level possible that money allows.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8EBD1DC9-CD22-4D90-B062-3FD07E94CE2F.jpg  

And will use a deionizing air nozzle and this thing that was pointed out https://www.needledoctor.com/Milty-Zerostat-Gun

Probably need to open up scanner and thoroughly clean it as well both lid and bottom.

Here how I conquered dust, well not 100% of it but its enough.

1) 35MM film gets put though the Pakon 135+ with ICE. If I have a real keeper it gets drum scanned.
    2) Medium format get put through the Minolta Multi Pro with ICE. If I have a real keeper it gets drum scanned.
    3) 4x5 gets scanned on the Howtek with mounting fluid which washes off most of the dust.
    4) I no longer scan on my V800 (too much dust).
    5) My Scitex flatbed is used for identifying medium format and 4x5 negatives I want to scan with the Minolta or Howtek.

I too have dust issues in my house, I live next to a baseball field so when it's played on or the field is dragged it throws up plenty of dust so the above works for me.

Is dust really the enemy of all photography? How many lenses are scratched by cleaning spots? Hands off!

My D750 auto shakes the sensor everytime I turn it on and off. Good enough. I hand cleaned DSLR sensors, mostly grease on my D7000, I gave up on that. Dust Off Ref Photo! Not...

Film seems to lose dust during processing and washing. Drying film attracts dust, so I try to slow air movement and dry overnight. Not bad.

Now, I can barely see dust on anything. Bad eyesight. I wipe things down and blow at the surfaces with a Rocket blower, but I see nothing, just like Sgt Schultz!

Contact prints, scanning negs and enlarging is done by rote process. I could do all of this without sight...

I never will sell any Art, just on principle. The principle is, why bother? Nobody will pay what any Art cost me to learn and make. There are no Royalties on a sold Art object that increases in value. Few will ever see my dust.

We Owe Artists the Crucial Income Resale Royalties Provide

Dust is reality, no matter how finely we work to eliminate dust, it's still everywhere. Dust is a matter of acceptable degree. Incoming Cosmic Dust at 60 tons a day. https://www.popsci.com/60-tons-cosmi...arth-every-day

https://m.terrauniversal.com/cleanro...-standards.php

Perhaps dust could be considered a 'beauty mark' like a freckle? https://www.nationalgeographic.com/p...eils-of-stars/

Just playing Devil's Advocate

I am done spotting spots as they are are a mark of this maker.

ymmv

Spot On!
    Tin Can

Perhaps dust could be considered a 'beauty mark' like a freckle?
    Why not? I have a Leica M9 with sensor cover corrosion which I consider a finger print or water mark because it is unique.

Well, beauty aside, to me it is an imperfection a sign of not caring if you will. I spend a lot of time and money from film, lenses, camera, etc to set up, composing, focusing, taking shot, developing, scanning, post-processing, printing, not to mentions the costs and time associated with getting to wherever I want to photograph, sometimes that is a day or two or more a way and a lot of money and time. So for me, to let dust win, is not acceptable. I won't ever get rid of all of it during the scan process or printing process, but the less I have to deal with is more time spent doing more constructive things, like editing photos, printing and drinking beer!

Steven, I understand, I hope you took my rant as tongue in cheek

I simply cannot SEE my dust! Literally...

So I take artistic license https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artistic_license

Nobody can match our in house expert, Topper

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Well, beauty aside, to me it is an imperfection a sign of not caring if you will. I spend a lot of time and money from film, lenses, camera, etc to set up, composing, focusing, taking shot, developing, scanning, post-processing, printing, not to mentions the costs and time associated with getting to wherever I want to photograph, sometimes that is a day or two or more a way and a lot of money and time. So for me, to let dust win, is not acceptable. I won't ever get rid of all of it during the scan process or printing process, but the less I have to deal with is more time spent doing more constructive things, like editing photos, printing and drinking beer!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Yes, much of the dust inside is skin cells

I found a lot near my bed in my last cave.

Shocking... really, I had been there a decade...
    Excellent point, Randy. Back in the old days when I was using my bloodhounds in criminal searches for the police or when it was a search and rescue, I was taught early on that our bodies are constantly shedding skin cells, which is what makes up the scent that bloodhounds zero in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Steven, I understand, I hope you took my rant as tongue in cheek

I simply cannot SEE my dust! Literally...

So I take artistic license https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artistic_license

Nobody can match our in house expert, Topper
    Yes, I took it as tongue in cheek. I also understood the facitionous of your statement about not being able to see the dust. I wish it weren’t so for you.

Continue on ranting.