Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have decided to make my office a clean room

Have decided to make my office a clean room

It will not be hard to add a door where you walk in and a window to the large picture frame opening to interior of house. Along with replacing the window screen material for the windows to outside and a heap filter on the vent air comes out from ac. Then add a large deionizing air purifier and some anti-static mats and such which I already use. Next would be to replace the carpet with a hard wood floor or similar.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L9UT1YU...b_t?th=1&psc=1

Of course I will disable Alexa.

This should really help. A small humidifier will work as well to further keep dust away and down.

Eric Woodbury

Re: Have decided to make my office a clean room

I have always wondered about ionized air. Ozone is powerful stuff. Do you find it to be corrosive?

Probably your biggest sources of dust will be people dander and paper dust. Paper/cardboard sheds a lot of crap. Easier to contain dust than eliminate.

Yes, much of the dust inside is skin cells

I found a lot near my bed in my last cave.

Shocking... really, I had been there a decade...
    Tin Can

I'd start with the carpet. I love wood floors and hate what carpet's hold. If it's manufactured wood floor, look for a thick top layer of wood in the laminate.

In the mean time, this is working pretty good on my scanner keeping it clean and mostly dust free. http://www.criticalcleaning.com/prod...lass&Item=A166

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    I'd start with the carpet. I love wood floors and hate what carpet's hold. If it's manufactured wood floor, look for a thick top layer of wood in the laminate.

In the mean time, this is working pretty good on my scanner keeping it clean and mostly dust free. http://www.criticalcleaning.com/prod...lass&Item=A166
    I use something similar. Hardwood floor is expensive so I will do that later this year. Need the door and such to separate the room from rest of house or it will look funny all carpet and one hardwood floor. Plus, the rest of the carpeting would just keep adding to the problem. So seal first then floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    I have always wondered about ionized air. Ozone is powerful stuff. Do you find it to be corrosive?

Probably your biggest sources of dust will be people dander and paper dust. Paper/cardboard sheds a lot of crap. Easier to contain dust than eliminate.
    No. It doesn't remain on continuously. Replaces air 5 times an hour. Technically to be a true clean room, I would also need to wear a bunny suit with hat, gloves and booties. A lab coat though would do. The idea is not to eliminate dust entirely, but rather to knock it down as much as possible so I can have much cleaner scans. Even mount my negatives there for using the enlarger.

Short of working in a NASSA clean room, I won't ever get rid of dust entirely, just knock it way, way down.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Yes, much of the dust inside is skin cells

I found a lot near my bed in my last cave.

Shocking... really, I had been there a decade...
    Yep, we shed as bad as a cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    The idea is not to eliminate dust entirely, but rather to knock it down as much as possible so I can have much cleaner scans.
    After a strident complaint regarding dusty scans from a chemistry lab prof, I suggested scanning in a 'bubble'. Fortunately the proposal was knocked down for $ reasons, but it's a good idea.

I spent a fair amount of time in the 2000s photographing inside real clean rooms; my division of ITT was building commercial imaging satellites. I'll just say that it wasn't a pleasant environment. You won't get to true clean room status at home, not that you need to, but you can apply the principles and get better results.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I spent a fair amount of time in the 2000s photographing inside real clean rooms; my division of ITT was building commercial imaging satellites. I'll just say that it wasn't a pleasant environment. You won't get to true clean room status at home, not that you need to, but you can apply the principles and get better results.
    Worked at NASA. This is true. I can probably get it darn close though. The biggest item after installing the door and window will be to replace carpet. I figure I can get it at least 75% there. I could go farther and get a bunny suit but that probably wiuld be overkill for my purposes.