Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Processing--I Did It!

Re: Processing--I Did It!

[QUOTE=rdeloe;1480817]
    Another thing to watch for is you have to make sure the film holders are perfectly dry. I did two batches in one day and the holders were a bit damp. Not only did it make it hard to load the film, but also one negative was destroyed because it was "glued" to the holder in places. I may invest in a second set of holders for times when I want to process 8 sheets in one day. /QUOTE]

I have had no troubl toweling the film holders dry and just blowing any drops of water out of the guides. I oftern run more than one cycle in succession adn find that as long as the holdrs are dry, I don't need to worry about the tank interior, as long as fuliy drained (I wash my film in the 445). Only on one occasion have I had a couple of sheets stick to the holders, and I don't know why it happened. In any case, since the emulsion faces out, the dye backing that formed dark splotches on teh film where it stuck were easily removed in a water soak/rinse with a little gentle finger wiping to help. Only took a few minutes.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Isn't it great!?? I did it for a lot of years and stupidly sold everything darkroom related for peanuts. I do a hybrid system now, but sorely miss watching images come up in a tray doing traditional prints. I use the same tank you do, and I do find that you need 450ml, if you fill too much you can't get the vacuum and yes, it leaks. Your images are very nice. If you want to make developing film seem even easier, brew beer from grains by mashing them. Now THAT'S a long, messy, large project. Processing BW film is easy and fun and I've found, since returning, much much better control than a lab. I'm new to 4x5 and can't imagine sending out for those to be developed. The 455 tank is awesome I think. My issue right now is that it's 4567 degrees below zero and I want to take photos! I might have to go grab a bouquet of flowers and do a few still life shots this weekend.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Laminarman View Post
    Isn't it great!?? I did it for a lot of years and stupidly sold everything darkroom related for peanuts. I do a hybrid system now, but sorely miss watching images come up in a tray doing traditional prints. I use the same tank you do, and I do find that you need 450ml, if you fill too much you can't get the vacuum and yes, it leaks. Your images are very nice. If you want to make developing film seem even easier, brew beer from grains by mashing them. Now THAT'S a long, messy, large project. Processing BW film is easy and fun and I've found, since returning, much much better control than a lab. I'm new to 4x5 and can't imagine sending out for those to be developed. The 455 tank is awesome I think. My issue right now is that it's 4567 degrees below zero and I want to take photos! I might have to go grab a bouquet of flowers and do a few still life shots this weekend.

Hitting 24 F below zero here (NOT windchill.) I'm going out anyway. I have some serious mountaineering clothing made for climbing K2 and Mt. Everest. Will try using a bit less fluid in the SP-445, just enough to cover the tops of the holders. That should give me enough vacuum when I squeeze it.

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SelfieS.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I'm definitely going to try the hair dryer trick. Good thought. On low I shouldn't have to worry about warping them.

So far Dilution H (basically just double the time and half the strength of Dilution B) seems to work well with HP5+. It's not a good choice if you like your negatives really contrasty. For my purposes (scanning) it seems a good choice. Note that I shot my HP5+ at ISO 320.

You definitely should not overfill the SP-445. The 475ml maximum amount is important. More and it still leaks because the liquid is above the level of the O-ring. Tim talks about this too in his "squeeze play" video.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Laminarman View Post
    Isn't it great!?? I did it for a lot of years and stupidly sold everything darkroom related for peanuts.
    At least you got peanuts! I tried to sell it -- no dice. In the end, to keep everything out of the landfill I gave it to a kid who said he'd use it at his camera club. I hope he did because he got a lovely Omega D5 XL with an Ilford cold light head and absolutely everything needed to set up a full darkroom -- except the cabinets!

Looks great Kent!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    1. I do have some leaks when using the HC-110, but not the tf4. i do the squeeze thing, but I think I'm filling it too full. There needs to be some air in there to create a vaccuum.

2. I've been doing two batches back to back. Once I have everything set up it just seems more time efficient. I towel dry everything, blow out the holders, then set on top of my floor registers. It's warm dry air and dries them out in a hurry.

3. I did run into a small problem with the HP5. My water temp called for a developing time that was under 5 minutes and the chart gave a warning that might be too short. There was only a 15 second difference so I just ran it that much longer. I think I need to find a different process or dilution for HP5 when the HC-110 dilution B won't work. I might try the dilution H maybe.

Kent in SD
    You are shooting a view camera. Any reason you did not correct the verticals in the image of the grain bins and dryer?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Congratulations!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

If I had to guess I'd say because his fingers were numb and the controls were frozen solid? Also there may or may not have been a Yeti siting in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    You are shooting a view camera. Any reason you did not correct the verticals in the image of the grain bins and dryer?

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post

On the night shot of the elevator complex at Baltic, SD, I was using a 75mm Nikkor for the first time. I have rise figured out but even backed way off I still ran out of "rise." Had to tilt the camera back some. I could not figure out how to straighten the tubes on the right side of the frame. I used Photoshop some and it did improve a bit. I find I have problems with buildings on the edge of the frames with both Nikkors 90mm and now 75mm. I waited until the sky cleared to take the shot. It was hitting 14 F below. Normally that's not a problem but I only had my medium warm clothes on.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!