Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'd like to see them make . . .

Re: I'd like to see them make . . .

What about an open sourced design for a 3D printed 4x5 like theGlobus or TravelWide, but with interchangeable cones and a rear section that would mount Grafmatic backs? Maybe later, a version in 4x10.

Why not a redesigned Grafmatic in modern materiels (not so heavy).
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

But back to the topic of the OP:

I think the Pelican ad-on legs is possible. I can't move this forward, but it would be a great crowd sourced project.

I'd also like to see a leg attachment for my large LowePro photo backpack. Sleeves for the legs. Legs made from PVC tubing or adapted tent poles.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I would like to see someolne make a fold up cart t0 carry my photo gear that is derived or adaspted from a golf bag pull cart.

It would easily go about any where that is wheel chair accerssable and off the path in areas that are barely landscasped . . .but not trail hiking.

It would support 30-50 pounds and fold up to fit the trunk of my car. At rest, it would present my camera bag at ~3-4 feet off the ground (no squatting).

Should cost under $100.

Could be a kit.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

Some were posted in DIY years ago.
    Tin Can

Yes, DIY. Only one eample was a commercially made item from Italy I think. I had little wheels.was EXPENSIVE and designed for light weight DSLR outfits. The forum thread spent several posts on the model though. My inconvenient luggage wheels work better for LF ( 4x5 anyway). In that thread, Dr Tang did one I rather liked, but I couldn't get it right with the tools and skill I posses.

Years ago, I strapped a backpack external frame, without the Kelty pack bag, to a golf bag cart with hose clamps and jambed my LoewPro trekker onto it. It wheeled around OK, but it was a beast and not satisfactory.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

Les

Maybe a robot-sherpa, Drew ? Something that kickstarter could cure, eh ?....or Silicon Valley ? Not sure this helps any.

Les

Les: Humor appreciated but not realy helpful. Thanks though.

I think there is a lot of stuff that could be brought forward. The TravelWide cameras were a good idea that died in infancy for example. Plenty of reasons for that . . .lets not re-open that here though.

Many LF shooters are aging out of the field, as I am, due to creeping infirmity. In reading many threads that discuss what we bring along, it looks like a 4x5 kit with camera, lenses, film holders and other gear typically add up to 25 pounds or more with tripod. When I was 35 or so, that was nothing. Today it is too much weight.

A legs kit for a hard shell case could be as successful as the shoulder strap adapters have been, IMO. Note that there are two third party suppliers selling backpack adapters for hard shell cases.

I am convinced that a similar kit for a soft case might also be possible, particularly if it is DIY (PVC tubes or tent poles with shock cord).

A wheeled cart or conversion kit is another solution to ageing legs/back issues.

Photographers will spend real money on things that work.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

Wouldn’t work in my case as I hike to many places and those I don’t hike to I 4 wheel to. In the city I just put on my back pack and go. I have an L5 to S1 fusion, clamp and screws as well, but I exercise and just slug it out. Maybe when I am 100 I will stop.

The pelican idea sounds good. Sketch it up and see what you need to make work.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    [...]A wheeled cart or conversion kit is another solution to ageing legs/back issues.
    I am in your position. I have assembled components that might work: a large back pack frame with a pull out top extension which can serve as a pull handle. At the bottom of the pack I made a 1" axle that can accommodate large diameter, light wheels. Large diameter and lightweight are most important. When circumstances become too demanding for pulling it along, one can bring the pack to his back.

Perhaps I should post pictures.

Jack: Nice . . .I never thought of that. Wheels aqnd such from a bike shop might be doable. Heck, even folding legs could work on that rig.

Show us when you are finished.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com