Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wista 45N

Re: Wista 45N

Sorry, still can't figure it out. The two sliders labeled 'A' move but nothing happens. I know how to open the doors labeled 'C' and 'D'. I know how to rotate the back. I just can't figure out how to remove the entire back. The back seems 'loose' and is on two hinges. One on top and the other on the bottom that swing out slightly. I will try and make a video later on today. <g>

-JW:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190125_103245.jpg   20190125_121246.jpg   20190125_122245.jpg  

The sliders A are fix graflok accessories.

Your camera does not have the 2 latches on top so you need to follow the instructions with turning the back to 45 degrees
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    The sliders A are fix graflok accessories.

Your camera does not have the 2 latches on top so you need to follow the instructions with turning the back to 45 degrees
    Thanks very much! I didn't understand the previous posting that rdeloe made. The silver tabs simply slide outwards to release the back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190125_130003.jpg  

rdeloe can be confusing. You wouldn't be the first person to point that out.

What I was trying to say is that there seem to be two different designs for removing the back: the two buttons or tabs on top next to the flash mount, and the fours silver tabs in the corners. Your camera has the four silver tabs, just like my 45VX. That's good because I think most of the operation manual I suggested (link above) will apply to your camera.

Thanks again. I have more questions and I'll get back to the film holder question later. I made a short video to explain. I don't think the back should be doing this and don't see a cure for keeping it firmly in place? Those sliders 'A" in my previous posting don't seem to have anything to do with this? I thought their function might be to keep the back in place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW0y...ature=youtu.be

-JW:

As Havoc mentioned, the sliders A in your above picture are only used with Graflok accessories. For example, you can shoot roll film with these cameras by removing the 4x5 film holder and inserting a Wista roll film adapter. You can ignore these completely unless you're planning to use roll film.

I watched your video. Looks good to me. When you pull back on the "ears", the back opens up so that you can slide a film holder in. When it's in position, it should click firmly. The film holder should feel snug, with no play. And when you lift up the dark slide, the film holder should stay put. One thing to note is that you seem to have a version that supports the double cable release system. That silver thing you're pulling on at the 15 second mark is where you can plug in the second cable release. It's explained in the manual (page 16 of the PDF file I linked you to above). It seems to be a system for allowing some degree of automatic aperture control. You can probably ignore this too (I would).

By the way, you can also ignore the lever you labelled B on that picture you posted (the one that shows A for the Graflok sliders). I actually posted a thread recently to ask what the heck that was for because it's not mentioned in the manual. It really seems to be nothing more than a way to rotate the holder counterclockwise -- which is kind of ridiculous because it's easier to just grab onto it and twist. It probably seemed like a good idea at the time to the engineers who designed the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rdeloe View Post
    Regarding heads, I use a Manfrotto 410. I don't love it because the gears get worn out and it's awkward to operate.
    Again, thanks for the suggestion and the link.

-JW:

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Vatza View Post
    Hi there.

Looks like a Really Right Stuff ball head on ypur Gitzo. That's the exact setup I am using right now. I just went to the RRS website and found a "generic" plate for a large format camera. If you aren't sure which one to go with give them a call. I am using these plates on my Speed Garphic as well my Wista 45DX.

Regarding the lens. I went thru the same thing with that very same same lens and had exactly the same question. That rear element is huge. It would not fit my Speed Graphic. This is the solution that was offered up to me. You remove the rear element and mount the front lens, shutter and lens board. Then you remove the camera back, retract the bellows, reach in and screw in the rear lens element. It could be done but was a pain. And it rubbed on the inside of the bellows anyway. I was on the verge of selling the 90 5.6 when I got the 45DX. Surprise. The lens fits just fine in my Wista 45DX. Go figure. Anyway, you might try the solution that was offered to me and see if it works for you.

Ed
    Thanks, worked for me.

-JW:

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Vatza View Post
    Hi there.

I just went to the RRS website and found a "generic" plate for a large format camera ...
    Thanks Ed.

Like I mentioned before, 4x5 is all new to me. I have shot film before. A lot of 35mm back in the early 70's, including developing. Back in the day, most of my medium format was with the Pentax 67's for Astrophotography and a little landscape last few years. I've never used a 4x5 before or loaded film in a 4x5 holder (AKA = noob). Naturally I will look for videos on Youtube and do some reading. I understand all of the concepts but not the physical operations yet. I wouldn't know a good film holder from a poor one. The few that I currently have look rough to me? I haven't a clue how to check their functionality, if anything is missing, or if they'r acceptable or not and the reason for one of my original questions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190124_170748.jpg