Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wista 45N

Wista 45N

New here,

I'm completely new to large format cameras. I still have all of my old Pentax 6x7 and 67 gear and lenses so I do shoot film now and then. Anyway I finally found a 4x5 and a few accessories locally. I ended up with a 45N in excellent condition and a Fujifilm SWD 90mm f/5.6 lens. I have an old Gitzo G1225 tripod and a older RSS ball head that I purchased years ago. I assume the Gitzo will work fine for now? My questions for now are;

1. What should I looking into purchasing to mount the 45N onto the Gitzo?

2. What do I look for film carrier wise for this particular camera? Dos and don'ts of purchasing?

-JW:

Re: Wista 45N

ive got the same setup. the camera is a bit heavy but a beautiful machine. as you get to use it n read tye many how to posts here, you will discover its many features n abilities. dont be affraid to ask these old geezers questions. they may sound a bit grumpy, but they do have big hearts... n heads.

it goes on the tripod like any camera does, 1/4-20 screw mounted on the tripod head. im not sure what you are asking about.

that lens is fantastic. i love it for lanscapes. the coating is excelent. when i first got it, i tested her out. iv shot into the sun with no flare n even had the sun in some pictures that came out great. its very sharp.

film holders are regular 4x5. ive got plenty spares. if you need, pm me for details, i can sell a bunch of them for a very reasonable price.

where are you located?

Here's a cell phone pic of my tripod ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20181009_103813.jpg   20181009_102356.jpg  

Wista 45N

I have used both a ball head and a pan/tilt head with my 4x5 and I prefer the pan/tilt. Being able to adjust one plane at a time is far easier - particularly for large format. My $0.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never purchased, nor looked at, or used a pan/tilt head. Do you mean something like a Manfrotto 410 Junior geared tilt head?

On another note, the lens I purchased won't go into the hole. The diameter of the rear lens housing is slightly larger than the opening. What's up with that? It's mounted on a Wista board but the 'diameter' is the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ManWithManyHobbies View Post
    On another note, the lens I purchased won't go into the hole. The diameter of the rear lens housing is slightly larger than the opening. What's up with that? It's mounted on a Wista board but the 'diameter' is the issue.
    This exact problem came up recently in another thread. In that case, it turned out that someone had re-done the bellows and used a replacement part for the front that had a too small opening. The hole in the front bellows frame should be almost exactly the same size as the hole in the in the front standard.

The other solution offered (in the event that my initial idea isn't the problem) was to unclip the bellows from the rear mount, unscrew the rear element, insert the lens, reach in from behind and attach the rear lens element, and then re-attach the bellows to the rear clips. Personally, I wouldn't do this because of the risk of damage (to the exposed lens elements, to the shutter, and to the threads). Others seem to do this as a matter of course. I'd get a lens that fits.

Regarding heads, I use a Manfrotto 410. I don't love it because the gears get worn out and it's awkward to operate. But it's very sturdy and not very expensive. If you buy a used one, get the seller to confirm that the gears are in perfect shape. Or if you get a bargain and are handy, you can repair it per some instructions I put up. https://www.largeformatphotography.i...75-tripod-head

Hi there.

Looks like a Really Right Stuff ball head on ypur Gitzo. That's the exact setup I am using right now. I just went to the RRS website and found a "generic" plate for a large format camera. If you aren't sure which one to go with give them a call. I am using these plates on my Speed Garphic as well my Wista 45DX.

Regarding the lens. I went thru the same thing with that very same same lens and had exactly the same question. That rear element is huge. It would not fit my Speed Graphic. This is the solution that was offered up to me. You remove the rear element and mount the front lens, shutter and lens board. Then you remove the camera back, retract the bellows, reach in and screw in the rear lens element. It could be done but was a pain. And it rubbed on the inside of the bellows anyway. I was on the verge of selling the 90 5.6 when I got the 45DX. Surprise. The lens fits just fine in my Wista 45DX. Go figure. Anyway, you might try the solution that was offered to me and see if it works for you.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by rdeloe View Post
    This exact problem came up recently in another thread. In that case, it turned out that someone had re-done the bellows and used a replacement part for the front that had a too small opening. The hole in the front bellows frame should be almost exactly the same size as the hole in the in the front standard.[/url]
    The front of the Wista camera bellows is attached to a two-part metal frame. The inner part came in two sizes - one with a 78mm diameter raised lip, and the other with an 84mm hole without the lip. Please see this thread for more details:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-Boards-to-fit

Kumar

I just had a friend tell me he had the same problem with his Graflex. Taking the lens apart wasn't a big deal as long as you're careful. I haven't figured out how to remove the rear ground glass yet so I can put it all together. The lens board fits fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190124_231100.jpg   20190124_231341.jpg