Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chamonix tips and tricks?

Re: Chamonix tips and tricks?

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Does yours have the circular focus knob under the middle of the rear standard? If so, what I did was to put an index mark on the knob and determine how many millimeters of travel equaled each 'hour' of rotation. I use that information to determine f-stop based on focal spread. For example on mine an entire rotation (12 hours) is about f-32.
    I do something similar with my Chamonix 57-Fs1, only I do it by touch rather than by referencing any markings. On my camera one rotation of the focus knob equates to about 10mm in bellows displacement, which is all you need to use the optimal f-stop table documented here:

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/fstop.html

I first focus on my far point, and place my index finger firmly on top of the focus knob (at twelve o'clock) as a reference. I then rotate the focus knob clockwise (while keeping my index finger in place) until my near point is in focus (let's say six o'clock). This "six hour" difference in focus points equates to a 6mm difference in bellows displacement, which equates to an f/stop of f/45.2 per the table. I then rotate the focus knob back to midway between the near and far points (three o'clock), meter the shutter speed needed for an f/45.2 f-stop, and take the exposure. I find my wrist is flexible enough to rotate the focus knob one full rotation without having to move my index finger.

Focusing in this way is relatively fast and also works well in low light, as there is no need to read markings or distance scales on the camera. It works the same way regardless of what lens is used.

Use it a lot. Get used to it.

I've been using a Chamonix 45 N-1 since the early days of the brand and it's been a wonderful tool over the years. I wouldn't change anything about it.

Buy the optional Universal Bellows.

Don't over-tighten any of the knobs, they will strip. If you do, Hugo and Chamonix have the most amazing customer experience I have ever experienced in the photographic industry. I stripped a knob and had a new one in the mail at no charge (the factory even threw in a couple of extra knobs) within days of reaching out to Hugo.

I can't speak highly enough of the camera, the company and their customer service.

If I ever get to the point of being able to afford an 8x10 field camera, Chamonix will be my only consideration.
    Robert Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Leppanen View Post
    I do something similar with my Chamonix 57-Fs1, only I do it by touch rather than by referencing any markings. On my camera one rotation of the focus knob equates to about 10mm in bellows displacement, which is all you need to use the optimal f-stop table documented here:

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/fstop.html

I first focus on my far point, and place my index finger firmly on top of the focus knob (at twelve o'clock) as a reference. I then rotate the focus knob clockwise (while keeping my index finger in place) until my near point is in focus (let's say six o'clock). This "six hour" difference in focus points equates to a 6mm difference in bellows displacement, which equates to an f/stop of f/45.2 per the table. I then rotate the focus knob back to midway between the near and far points (three o'clock), meter the shutter speed needed for an f/45.2 f-stop, and take the exposure. I find my wrist is flexible enough to rotate the focus knob one full rotation without having to move my index finger.

Focusing in this way is relatively fast and also works well in low light, as there is no need to read markings or distance scales on the camera. It works the same way regardless of what lens is used.
    Ic-racer and Eric, thanks for the tip. I've used the knob position to focus half way between the near and far points on my chamonix, but had no idea it could also tell the optimal f-stop as well. I've always just looked at the ground glass and added a stop or so for safety. Setting the correct f-stop was certainly one of those things I struggled with, and I've missed more shots than I care to admit with either stopping down too much, or not enough.

As my 45F-2 is almost here, I also have a few questions...
    - Has anyone created a general reference/howto/tips-and-tricks website for the camera?
    - Has anyone made a chart of which screw-hole to use (for the front standard) for which focal length lens?
    - What's the longest focal length you can practically use without needing an extension board?
    - How stable is the camera with an extension board? (assuming keeping the tripod mount under the main camera)
    - When is it important is it to measure bellows extension and factor it into exposure? Is there a favorite ruler/tape-measure everyone uses for this? (this being a general LF question) When I watch people doing LF work on YouTube, I basically never see them talking about this and/or doing anything about it.

Q: Has anyone made a chart of which screw-hole to use (for the front standard) for which focal length lens?
    A: I don't know of a chart, but since there are multiple ways of setting up the camera there won't be one definitive chart. I try to push the back forward for short lenses. Each hole is 25mm from the next, so it's pretty easy to pick the correct hole by counting.

Q: What's the longest focal length you can practically use without needing an extension board?
    A: I don't know. It's between 300mm and 450mm. My 300mm works without the extension and the 450mm needs it.

Q: How stable is the camera with an extension board? (assuming keeping the tripod mount under the main camera)
    A: Depends on the lens. With the 450mm f/9 Nikon in Copal 3 it's very front heavy. With the 450mm Fujinon C it's very stable and doesn't feel stressed or unbalanced.

Q: When is it important is it to measure bellows extension and factor it into exposure? Is there a favorite ruler/tape-measure everyone uses for this? (this being a general LF question)
    A: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ws-factor.html It almost only comes up for me with macro, so I find the QuickDisk very simple to use. I also keep a rolled up fabric tape in the bag.
    Q: When I watch people doing LF work on YouTube, I basically never see them talking about this and/or doing anything about it.
    A: It's rarely a concern for landscape or portraiture (except head shots on 8x10 and larger).

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    Q: Has anyone made a chart of which screw-hole to use (for the front standard) for which focal length lens?
    A: I don't know of a chart, but since there are multiple ways of setting up the camera there won't be one definitive chart. I try to push the back forward for short lenses. Each hole is 25mm from the next, so it's pretty easy to pick the correct hole by counting.

Q: What's the longest focal length you can practically use without needing an extension board?
    A: I don't know. It's between 300mm and 450mm. My 300mm works without the extension and the 450mm needs it.

Q: How stable is the camera with an extension board? (assuming keeping the tripod mount under the main camera)
    A: Depends on the lens. With the 450mm f/9 Nikon in Copal 3 it's very front heavy. With the 450mm Fujinon C it's very stable and doesn't feel stressed or unbalanced.

Q: When is it important is it to measure bellows extension and factor it into exposure? Is there a favorite ruler/tape-measure everyone uses for this? (this being a general LF question)
    A: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ws-factor.html It almost only comes up for me with macro, so I find the QuickDisk very simple to use. I also keep a rolled up fabric tape in the bag.
    Q: When I watch people doing LF work on YouTube, I basically never see them talking about this and/or doing anything about it.
    A: It's rarely a concern for landscape or portraiture (except head shots on 8x10 and larger).
    Thanks for the answers. It didn't take me very long to figure out which screw hole worked best for each of my lenses, so less worry there than I thought. Its also encouraging to know that a 300mm will work without extensions, since I may want to get one. (I decided to start with a 210mm as my "longer" lens, because I wasn't entirely sure at the time.) Also glad that bellows factor isn't something I need to be paranoid about for most shooting.

Now I just need to get out and shoot more (as the weather improves around here), and start to get better at metering exposure (a.k.a. practice /w Velvia).

The one thing I'm still wondering about, however, is all the movements on the rear standard. It seems like there are two separate tilt knobs/movements, and there's no stop/detent with the larger knobs at the straight-vertical position. Its possible things just weren't adjusted perfectly out-of-the-box here, since unboxing videos do show one of them stopping at vertical.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    Q: "...
    "
    I used my Nikkor-M 450/9 on the 45F2 with the extension. I was not sure if it was going to be stable and placed a second tripod couple of millimeters below the extension, just in case. However, the camera held strong and even though I was concerned, it took the picture just fine. If anything I would do, is to use a heavier tripod to provide bigger resistance to the momentum exerted. I also would like to have a 3/8 screw for the quick release plate.

Chamonix 45F-2 Nikkor-M 450mm f/9 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

CHAMONIX 45f2 + Nikkor-M 450/9 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones