Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: ChromaGraphica Double Dry Plate Holder Kickstarter - Friday 9 August 2019 Noon launch

Re: ChromaGraphica Double Dry Plate Holder Kickstarter - Friday 9 August 2019 Noon la

The first production representative prototype is here!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	96A098FC-8077-494C-82D4-52FE7F5F555B.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	197241

Steve at Chroma Camera just received his copy as well. We will use these to draft an assembly procedure and verify functionality. .
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Re: ChromaGraphica Double Dry Plate Holder Kickstarter - Friday 9 August 2019 Noon la

Very cool!
    Tin Can

Looks good! Can't wait to get mine.

What a well thought out design. Well done!

I got my 5x7 holder today. It looks OK but the dark slides are ridiculously tight to remove and reinsert. So much so that it almost doesn't work. There appears to be some type of white lubricant applied to the interior. The tape holding the end flap looks like regular electrical tape rather than a cloth-based tape similar to book binding tape. I won't get a chance to use until I receive my new 5x7 camera in September, and also I need to buy a box of 5x7 dry plates.

On the test holders I received, the dark slides were tight as well. I found they loosened up with use to a moderately tight feel that I prefer and designed for. In one of the updates I mentioned a “break-in” period and that’s what I was referring to. Let me know if that doesn’t improve.

The white “lubricant” I believe is residual primer for the adhesive they used ..it will wipe off with a cloth.

The tape was a disappointment to me as well and not one I expected. Trying to describe “Book-binding tape” proved impossible.

While the molds and parts were good (That was the important long-term result needed from the campaign), the build left some details to be desired. I’ll be assembling them here going forward and have a list of improvements including these issues to be corrected in future holders.

Received my 8x10 holder yesterday. The dark slides don't feel too tight, the tape doesn't look as nice as book-binders' tape but it seems light-tight.
    One recommendation is that the holders also be wrapped in plastic, rather than bare in the cardboard box. It'll take a bit of cleaning to get the dust/particles out of the holder, but I always do that with used holders anyway.
    Excited to try it out!

Quote Originally Posted by jim_jm View Post
    Received my 8x10 holder yesterday. The dark slides don't feel too tight, the tape doesn't look as nice as book-binders' tape but it seems light-tight.
    One recommendation is that the holders also be wrapped in plastic, rather than bare in the cardboard box. It'll take a bit of cleaning to get the dust/particles out of the holder, but I always do that with used holders anyway.
    Excited to try it out!
    Thanks, Jim! Glad to hear it showed up. Thanks for mentioning the plastic. We had discussed plastic bags with the shop.. not sure why it didn't happen. After the campaign holders go out, the retail holders will ship from Steve and I... Some of those will already be assembled (I'm going to take over assembling them here) to start retailing, so I'll make sure to pull those out, clean them off and bag them before re-boxing.

Check my comments in the last update to the KS campaign about the potential leak through the dark slide slot. I don't know how widespread that is -- it could have been just mine -- so I'm curious to know if you see it. If you do, let me know and I'll arrange to fix your holder.

-Jason

Are there any plans for future sales? I would be interested in 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10
    Last edited by jmdavis; 11-Jul-2020 at 16:57. Reason: Punctuation.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdavis View Post
    Are there any plans for future sales? I would be interested in 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10
    Yes. After backer holders are delivered, we’ll be preparing to retail them.