Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: ChromaGraphica Double Dry Plate Holder Kickstarter - Friday 9 August 2019 Noon launch

Foamer

Re: ChromaGraphica Double Dry Plate Holder Kickstarter - Friday 9 August 2019 Noon la

I was unable to get online while I was at work and only was able to log in a couple of hours later. Only x1 of the 5x7 holders was available at $57 so I took it. I was going to buy two of them and two of the 4x5. So I come away with one.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Re: ChromaGraphica Double Dry Plate Holder Kickstarter - Friday 9 August 2019 Noon la

I went for one of the 5x7 holders when only 2 were available at the early price, so I must have done that just before you. I am looking forward to this a lot.

I only pledged/contributed for one 8X10.

Which may give me 3 total as I have 2 wood ones.

I have 8 wood 5X7.

7 wood 4X5.

5 wood 1/4 plate.

I lantern slide size. 3-1/4 X 4.

4 Mamiya plastic/metal 2-1/4 X 3-1/4

1 warped 11X14" with adapter to 10x12. It needs unwarping some more, very slow process.

I also have 200 5X7 custom ordered glass plate blanks for later in life...
    Tin Can

Tin Can, when you ordered the glass plate blanks did you specify a particular glass type? I was told certain types of glass are stronger/more break resistant, such as the material used in lab glass. Borosilicate? Did they smooth or frost the edges?

Pledged one 8x10 as I have three 8x10 wood and two 4x5 wood already. Just trying to help a great project get off the ground

Thanks fellas! Yeah the Kickstarter is kind of limiting as far as rewards go. Don’t worry if it’s successful then these will forever be widely available.

Less common sizes will follow... if it’s successful.

Quote Originally Posted by cp_photo View Post
    Tin Can, when you ordered the glass plate blanks did you specify a particular glass type? I was told certain types of glass are stronger/more break resistant, such as the material used in lab glass. Borosilicate? Did they smooth or frost the edges?
    Just order soda lime float glass. All glass will break if you drop them.. all glass is fine for normal use.

Ask them to just swipe the edge or run them across a grinding stone yourself.. that’s really all you need.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

I ordered my glass exactly 5 years ago. I made a big mistake as I didn't know better. I undersized them from 5X7" to film size. I did ask this forum for advice. Nobody was talking glass plates at that time. So I guessed.

Mine are a little loose in standard 5X7 plate holders, but workable. They don't fall out.

Jason makes his plates to nominal as he should, his plates fit perfectly in my ancient wood plate holders. I have bought a few boxes of his plates.

I must add, Jason has sized his plate holders correctly. Buy them.

I used http://www.howardglass.com/index.html Polished edges, They delivered interleaved in white paper and very clean. Maybe clean enough for?

I plan years ahead, I hope to use them in the next 5 years.

To the left my hat avatar was shot on 100 year old NOS 5X7 glass plate.

Quote Originally Posted by cp_photo View Post
    Tin Can

Hi all, sorry for being slow to the thread but I’ve been a bit spread thinly with Chroma camera building and being harassed by a guy from New Hampshire to design some holders

Looks like Jason’s covered a lot of the reasoning behind our new holders, and our future plans. I’m currently sitting here refreshing the campaign regularly and being seriously impressed by the support we’ve being shown already, so I can only say thank you to everyone who’s backed so far, and fingers’ crossed that ChromaGraphica becomes a solid successful product that brings enjoyment of dry plate photography to anyone and everyone.

Cheers
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post

Hey Corran,

Good question. Steve and I have been discussing it. We really want to keep them the same but might need to bump them up a bit so that we can accommodate offering wholesale prices to retailers and not undercut their own prices. It's a balancing act but we're pretty close to where they should be already.
    Thanks Jason, I appreciate the answer. I probably shoulda jumped on an earlybird 5x7 holder just to get one!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Just a suggestion principles.

Update the KS link!
    Tin Can