Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: ChromaGraphica Double Dry Plate Holder Kickstarter - Friday 9 August 2019 Noon launch

Re: ChromaGraphica Double Dry Plate Holder Kickstarter - Friday 9 August 2019 Noon la

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Wipe down the dark slides with Pledge furniture polish. That will smooth things up. Trade secret that I discovered!
    Hi Jason,

Got mine today! So excited to start shooting some of your dry plates!

To say the dark slides are tight would be an understatement. As is, I'm not sure I could replace the dark slide while the holder is in the camera without breaking something. How susceptible to breaking/cracking are the dark slides? I will try the Pledge idea to see if that makes them easier to remove/replace; time using it will probably help, too.

Silly questions: There is what looks like masking tape along both top(ish) sides and on one side of each dark slide tab. I'm assuming the tab tape is to reveal unexposed or exposed plate and the one across the top end of the holder is? For writing on? If for writing, what does one use to write with that's removable?

Thanks!

Re: ChromaGraphica Double Dry Plate Holder Kickstarter - Friday 9 August 2019 Noon la

Alan,

Best to use a pencil. If you have blank address labels or adhesive sheets, cut those to shape to replace the tape that cane with them.

Cheers,
    Jason
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Has anybody in the western USA received a 4x5 holder, yet? According to the shipping notice I received, mine was shipped a couple of weeks ago and, according to the tracking info, it hasn't budged since 8/4.
    Received in South Dakota today.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Between here and there

I got mine (4x5 and 5x7 combo) a few days ago, delivered in a black plastic bag.

There are some rough edges on the 5x7 and a loose spring that needs to be reglued. As has been said before, the darkslides are tight. They also seem very prone scratches and to be honest a bit wobbly. In larger sizes that 5x7 - I guess one runs up against some limits as to what one can do with plastics, given bigger sizes and more piece to to glue together. There was some threads floating around in there too, from the light trap and the thing (spade? emergency handle?) in the middle.

The septum is glossy, and given that the dry plates does not (?) have antihalation backing - perhaps it makes a difference?

As it is with first runs, I guess there is room for improvement. It will be interesting to see what Intrepid comes up with for their 5x7 film holders, as a comparision.
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

I got my 8x10 DDS a while back

No dust

Dark-slides have a plastic protective strip on one side, I immediately removed that, as that did add friction

The dark-slides work fine now
    Tin Can

I've used my 4x5 holder a couple of times now and have "worked" the dark slides several times (about 10 pulls/replace each set) and the dark slides have gotten slightly easier to pull & replace, but still pretty tight. I'm kind of hoping it stays that way thinking I won't have to worry about light leaks. Both my dark slides are very scratched up at this point, but that doesn't affect functionality. Given how tight the dark slides are I guess I'd like them to be slighter thicker, but I've come up with a way to replace it without worrying about breaking it.

Feedback is appreciated... it all gets added to a pretty comprehensive list for future improvements.

Cheers,
    Jason
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

Recieved mine in Seattle sometime in last ten days. My mail was On Hold, so uncertain of exact delivery date.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    I've used my 4x5 holder a couple of times now and have "worked" the dark slides several times (about 10 pulls/replace each set) and the dark slides have gotten slightly easier to pull & replace, but still pretty tight. I'm kind of hoping it stays that way thinking I won't have to worry about light leaks. Both my dark slides are very scratched up at this point, but that doesn't affect functionality. Given how tight the dark slides are I guess I'd like them to be slighter thicker, but I've come up with a way to replace it without worrying about breaking it.
    Hello Alan9940:
    My dark slides are extremely tight as well. No change after 25 'in/out' exercises.
    I am more concerned about breakage ... I feel like the dark slide will snap in half!
    *** Could you share your method "to replace it without worrying about breaking it" ?
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by drewf64 View Post
    Hello Alan9940:
    My dark slides are extremely tight as well. No change after 25 'in/out' exercises.
    I am more concerned about breakage ... I feel like the dark slide will snap in half!
    *** Could you share your method "to replace it without worrying about breaking it" ?
    Thank you!
    Yep, I was worried about snapping mine, too. After applying the "Pledge furniture polish" trick (as suggested in an earlier post by Jason) and applying a very light coating of paraffin wax along the edges of the dark slides and exercising the dark slides about 50x, they've gotten a LITTLE easier to pull/replace. The method I've adopted to replace the dark slide is 1) I hold the ground glass part of the camera back with my left hand (to ensure I don't displace the holder and cause light leaks), and 2) holding the dark slide with my right hand as I would with a film holder I carefully start it in and jiggle it a bit if it doesn't feed in as I'd expect. It's hard to describe, but I tense up the muscles in my arm/hand and concentrate on not allowing the dark slide to bend. If it just won't feed in, I reposition my right hand along each edge of the slide near the holder itself alternating very small movements to get it going. With my holder, it seems that once I get a good start I can then feed it like a regular film holder.

I hope this makes sense and helps.