Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from South Texas

Greetings from South Texas

Hello everybody! I've been reading through this wonderful forum for the past few months and I reckoned I should probably introduce myself. My name is Elena, and I'm from south Texas and a couple other places. Call me a person of the world, or at least the southern states (for now). I never thought I would actually end up with a large format system at all when I started shooting two years ago. In fact, I fondly remember that the first time I saw a field camera I thought to myself: "What an ugly camera, why would anyone use that!" Next thing I know, I'll be in ULF territory, consigned to sleeping in my camera!

I'm not much for words over the net, but I really enjoy talking about photography and anything at all really. I hope everyone has a great day/night!

-Elena

Les

Re: Greetings from South Texas

Welcome to LF forum, Elena. Sooo, what do you see out of the ULF porthole ? BBNP ? Some splendid memories from there.

Les

FWIW, I'm already nominating you for "Best Screen Name"...were you involved in the festivities in some capacity?

Hello, I was supposed to be in Harlingen right now, but not.
    Tin Can

Welcome. Furthest South I've been in Texas is visiting family in San Antonio, which leaves about 150 miles to the border. How far South is South Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Welcome to LF forum, Elena. Sooo, what do you see out of the ULF porthole ? BBNP ? Some splendid memories from there.

Les
    Thank you! Well, I would really like to delve into making collodion wet plates or ambrotypes I think. I know I can make them on my 45, and I will, but there's a certain allure in having a something big you know? But aside from that, ULF seems like a process that I need experience in my life even if for a brief moment. Sort of a faint calling that grows louder in time.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    FWIW, I'm already nominating you for "Best Screen Name"...were you involved in the festivities in some capacity?
    Haha thank you, most people don't catch it. I was not, perhaps thankfully, they were quite a bit before my time. I've done a lot of reading on the cold war and found the whole ordeal as fascinating as it was terrifying. Also it's pretty funny the looks some people give a small girl when she can accurately identify gunships, tanks, and small arms of various countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Hello, I was supposed to be in Harlingen right now, but not.
    I've never been but have been meaning too. I hear the gulf down there is really pretty, and way less touristy.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    Welcome. Furthest South I've been in Texas is visiting family in San Antonio, which leaves about 150 miles to the border. How far South is South Texas?
    About that far south! It's been home for a long time I suppose

[QUOTE=Able Archer;1480068]Also it's pretty funny the looks some people give a small girl when she can accurately identify gunships, tanks, and small arms of various countries.[\QUOTE

Ha, any self-respecting Texas gal should get an SBR in 300 Blackout for her quinceanera...
    Good luck with your foray into the format!

Hi from Central Texas!

New Orleans, LA

S. Texas is essentially West Louisiana

If you ever have a hankering to visit New Orleans be sure to check out the New Orleans Photo Alliance: https://neworleansphotoalliance.org

We put on a photo festival every December called PhotoNOLA: https://photonola.org

Quote Originally Posted by fj55mike View Post
    Hi from Central Texas!
    Greetings, I'm in SA, maybe not that far removed from central I guess. Either way, if you are in town shoot me a message. I'm always up for geeking out about photog stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Bennett View Post
    S. Texas is essentially West Louisiana

If you ever have a hankering to visit New Orleans be sure to check out the New Orleans Photo Alliance: https://neworleansphotoalliance.org

We put on a photo festival every December called PhotoNOLA: https://photonola.org
    I'm just missing some extra humidity haha, but we party hard (sometimes). I miss New Orleans, such a vibrantly mysterious city, and a party around every corner! I really would like to go back for a spell. Thanks for the info!