Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Better Scanning 8x10 glass insert

Better Scanning 8x10 glass insert

Has anyone used the 8x10 anti-Newton ring glass insert made by Better Scanning to "hold an 8x10 negative flat" in an Epson 850 scanner? I have not had a problem with Newton rings but wondering if the glass insert might still be worth trying.

Thanks for any information or personal experience.

Don Ciccone

Charles S

Re: Better Scanning 8x10 glass insert

Funny you should mention. I just go a V850 and had the same question.

It's just a piece of good quality 8x10 ANR glass with a set of shims
    if you want to tape your negative to the glass to raise it above the scanner glass for better focus it's fussy but works well
    if all you need is to flatten your negative on the scanner glass it will work well for that without using the shims
    or if you have a local glass shop that can supply it you can get a piece of the same glass from them

I have it, it works well
    I no longer use it to raise the neg above the glass as it provided no benefit on my scanner

I have the glass and when I start mounting my negatives, I will wet mount them either to the scan glass or the ANR glass (most likely the scan glass) The ANR works great for 4x5 and weight mounting which is the only way I scan.

I have used 8X10 AN glass I got with an enlarger to flatten warped film by putting it on top with emulsion down flat on my V700.

But only if my film has a warp, which is seldom as I don't use tubes to develop.

Most of the time I don't need to press film flat.

That said, I am planning to try to improve my scanning by dry mounting 5X7 to the bottom of the AN glass testing various heights and force the V700 to use the better lens.

I am reading what all the scanner experts are writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Ciccone View Post
    Has anyone used the 8x10 anti-Newton ring glass insert made by Better Scanning to "hold an 8x10 negative flat" in an Epson 850 scanner? I have not had a problem with Newton rings but wondering if the glass insert might still be worth trying.

Thanks for any information or personal experience.

Don Ciccone
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I have used 8X10 AN glass I got with an enlarger to flatten warped film by putting it on top with emulsion down flat on my V700.

But only if my film has a warp, which is seldom as I don't use tubes to develop.

Most of the time I don't need to press film flat.

That said, I am planning to try to improve my scanning by dry mounting 5X7 to the bottom of the AN glass testing various heights and force the V700 to use the better lens.

I am reading what all the scanner experts are writing.
    I tried dry mounting, it sucks! Wet mount is only way to go.

I may get to wet mount.

Just alien to my instinct to keep negs and electronics DRY.

One step at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    I tried dry mounting, it sucks! Wet mount is only way to go.
    Tin Can

I don't think that dry-mounting sucks. In my experience, it depends quite a bit on the system. Like Randy, I don't like risking damage to my negatives. Kami scanning fluid does leave a residue. Put a drop on a clean sheet of glass. Let it dry. Give it a week, so that people can't tell you that you didn't give it long enough. What will you see? Well, unless it's been reformulated from what I have, you'll see a residue on the glass. That means that if you ever want use the film for making an optical enlargement, then you'll have to clean it, with the danger that wiping film can easily lead to scratches.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I found a big difference wet mounting and using the Betterscanning system. I'm about .72mm above the glass. Now, I tried "cheaping out" and using Gamsol from Michaels on a test negative. It's oily and leaves a residue. I tossed it. Kami evaporates and leaves little to no residue that I could find. Since 4x5 lays flat I was thinking of a piece of ANG on top of them for quick contact sheets. For 120 and 35mm I find wet mounting a huge improvement, probably due to film flattening. Either way, mounting below Doug's glass with the fluid is now dialed in for me. Finally, it took a while. For non critical stuff like photos to friends and family I'll just use the Epson holders as they work well and are quick. I have the v850.

I will try the little drop test. But from what I have seen over 200 negatives so far is no residue, but I could be wrong. I am also thinking of trying this fluid http://scanscience.com/Pages/lumina.html as their claim to fame is also 0 residue. But when I have done side by side comparisons of wet vs dry, I have found that the wet mount on my 4x5 outperforms the dry mount. From better "sharpness" to few imperfections like little scratches, and even to some extent, dust. And it takes me no more time really to wet mount vs dry mount. Let's just say for me, I prefer it.

And Kami fluid doesn't smell bad either.

This is also why I scan at highest res possible, so I never have to touch the negative again, unless I am going to an enlarger and then it will just dusting off hopefully.