Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Better Scanning 8x10 glass insert

Re: Better Scanning 8x10 glass insert

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Now, if I can figure out dust! It seems the more careful I am, the more I get. What’s strange is most of it is perfectly round little white dots. You can’t make out after mounting negative using light board and eye loupe. Never saw dust as perfectly round dots. The negative is perfect so it has to do with something in air getting on negative. I never saw perfectly round white dots of dust. The air in my room is filled with everything but perfectly round little dots.

I just scanned the scanner glass, next is the bare ANR glass and finally a blank negative wet mounted. Trying to see where problem is. Most likely it is me.
    If they're perfectly round my guess is they're tiny air bubbles

Nope, I did a test with scanner and just scanner glass. See pic. It is definitely dust, not air bubbles. And if there is a bubble it is more than obvious, especially under an eye loupe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 51F046EC-6921-4EC0-96D4-3E28B62D429D.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Nope, I did a test with scanner and just scanner glass. See pic. It is definitely dust, not air bubbles. And if there is a bubble it is more than obvious, especially under an eye loupe.
    I see, it may be inside, under the top and/or bottom glass depending on your scanner. My scanner gets it in both. Do you know how to open your scanner to clean under the glass?

I think you gotta take out some caps hiding the screws to access the scanner glass for removal. I think there is a YouTube video as well.