Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So I'm looking at film prices....

So I'm looking at film prices....

Still waiting on my Chamonix. Now, keep in mind I haven't shopped for LF film in many, many years, but one thing just jumped out at me. The prices for Kodak film are a bit outrageous??? Since I haven't been looking, have they been that much higher than Ilford for past many years or have they only recently gone nuts with pricing? I was going to pick up some Ektachrome for my Leica but Lord above, about $13 a roll? I don't consider that a favor bringing it back for us. I've always supported llford anyways and this is all the more reason to.

Re: So I'm looking at film prices....

I said the same thing a few years ago and swore off KODAK, on this forum.

Bad idea, I recanted, and now treasure both KODAK and Ilford!

I have also bought special cuts from both makers.

Kieth Canham can order special ULF KODAK.
    Tin Can

it is sticker shock after not buying 4x5 for so many years. THere are a couple alternatives though.

Arista (rebranded fomapan) is only $67/50 sheets 4x5 as opposed to TMAX at $127/50 4x5.

The compromise is slightly more grain at a lower price. Ive had very good results with fomapan n arista but I hate to say, im going back to TMAX after using the cheaper stuff for nearly 3 years now. I like the control I get with tmax. Ive been using it since it hit the streets in 120 roll format years ago. Im just going to keep my films the same accross formats, just makes life easier.

OH berger pancro is another nice film but again, back to TMAX for me. I did way too much experimenting instead of getting down to business.

Paul, since this is relearning for me and somewhat new and I will have a LOT of rust to get rid of, the first box I'm shooting will be Arista. Might as well make my mistakes on a less expensive film. I imagine most of my issues will be focus and camera movement related, not to mention just botched things like leaving the shutter open. The film I'm settling into and getting to know will be Delta 100 in Rodinal and see where that takes me. So many cameras, so little time...

Yes, the price of Kodak LF film has hit the stratosphere in recent years; guess that's to be expected given the issues with Kodak. Ilford has raised their prices a bit, but nothing crazy IMO. I use quite a bit of Foma 100 in 8x10 and buy it from fotoimpex in Germany. Good idea to use Arista film for learning. Have fun and post some images!

Foamer

If you think about it, film is the cheapest part of photography. Travel costs are much more. That said, I mostly shoot FP4 and Hp5 because I like it.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Of note, it kinda blew my mind Ektar 100 in 4x5 was MORE than Fuji Provia in 4x5 when I last looked. The prices move around so that may not be the case but kinda made me go "what!?". I wish there were more color options, costs aside as well as higher speed films but *shrug*.

But yes sheets cost. BW isn't so bad. I do think Kodak is more pricey but I love TMAX and buying it in 50 sheet boxes somehow makes it hurt less. For 400 speed, I normally do HP5 but I have been testing out Pancro 400. I love their boxes ;P - the film itself has been a little tough to nail down. It's not bad at all - it's very good - has lots of tone and renders textures very well, but not sure I like the look with my process.

Fomapan/Arista I would recommend as well. Their packaging kinda sucks - next time I buy a box of Foma I think I'm going to transfer the sheets to another a proper 3-box as they provide the film in a single box and bag. Otherwise I've had some nice results with Foma 200 and plan on trying 100 and 400 soonish.

Also the Rollei films aren't bad if you don't mind a super thin base. I've only done the IR 400 film in sheets so far (I really wanna try RPX25) but it has very pleasing grain to me as a normal film - and you have the option to use it in "IR mode" with a filter. Check to make sure your bellows are IR safe - Chamonix bellows are not apparently (I suspect Intrepid's aren't either but that's just given some of the results I've had) but you can replace them or just cover them with a dark cloth.

Also don't forget about ADOX! Not many options for US distribution yet and I'm not sure about the costs but their films sure look interesting to me.

Film costs what it costs. Sure I wish it was cheaper, but I could say that about anything I buy. No sense wringing your hands about it. It is out of your control anyway. Just be happy it is still available.

Yes, but we have choices...

If for 120 format TMX and Delta 100 have the same price I may get anyone, but if with same emulsion in LF sheets one has twice the price of the other, then I may think that a manufacturer hates me ! or I may think the sheet price is fair anyway!

Hence, we have a choice ....

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    It is out of your control anyway.
    Consumers have a certain degree of control, depending on how we react to manufacturer's marketing policy we are conditioning manufacturer's behaviour.

A marketing officer would think twice what he does if he is to destroy market share and sells. But if he sees that at 2x price he only sells a 10% less... what would you do ?

Great info dawg. Faberryman I don't fret the costs too much for a few reasons: I'm blessed to be able to afford what I want, and nobody forced me to do this. That being said, I don't see value in learning on something that costs twice as much. I have shot the Arista 100 in 120 and while it has a nice look, it seems more contrasty and less sharp than I'd like. I'm going to shoot it in 4x5 (400 ISO). That speed will minimize one thing I'll screw up which is shutter speed and wind, it's always windy where I go (or so it seems) and except for rare instances I don't like leaves blowing and blurring in the wind. I'm going stir crazy meanwhile here, the Chamonix was shipped a week ago and days are dragging on like a glacier...