Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Darkroom Renovation Phase 1

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

Re: Darkroom Renovation Phase 1

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Nearly Restored 5x7 Sinar Norma by Nokton48, on Flickr

Since we are all locked down I have been working on restoring my old Normas, as they are more than sixty years old, they need some attention. This is my 5x7, I have put in some new light sealing foam in the front and rear standards, and also new foam in this new to me Sinar Norma Shutter. I sent the shutter out for cleaning (it was sticky inside) and replaced the sync cord, although for whatever reason, it is still not firing with strobes. I will get it sorted eventually, for now I will use my other Norma Shutter with my strobes in the studio, it fires 100%. The lens is a Sinar Norma 121mm F8 Super Angulon, forward mounted with copal shutter built-in, and full Norma Auto Aperture automation. This is the most deluxe way you could get this lens from Sinar at the time. Looking forward to shooting more HR-U XRay film with this new to me camera. Should make fantastic split-grade VC RC prints.

Also new in the studio are these background clamp weights from Savage, which keeps my seamless paper from rolling up by itself, and keeps the background tight and smooth looking. I can roll up or down in ten seconds any of my three colors of background paper, I have blue, black, and white. All three shown staggered against my studio back wall.
    Daniel, very impressive! What's your trick on the filter holder ring fitting with the Norma? Filing the hexagonal rod? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Exploring Large Format View Post
    Daniel, very impressive! What's your trick on the filter holder ring fitting with the Norma? Filing the hexagonal rod? Thanks in advance!

No tricks required, you simply have to get the original Norma filter holder, the more modern version is different. The Norma FH has a red dot on it, and the original Norma hex rods had a red dot also. When properly put together you get the 45 degree swing with the Norma camera which works beautifully. When they came out with the newer F/P/C cameras things changed, since the rod is in a different place and they are really not interchangeable. Well, the hex rods are, of course, but not the holder.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    No tricks required, you simply have to get the original Norma filter holder, the more more modern version is different. The Norma FH has a red dot on it, and the original Norma hex rods had a red dot also. When properly put together you get the 45 degree swing with the Norma camera which works beautifully. When they came out with the newer F/P/C cameras things changed, since the rod is in a different place and they are really not interchangeable. Well, the hex rods are, of course, but not the holder.
    Got it. Thanks much!

500CM 30 DIST Fuji Neopan 400 ADOX BORAX MQ by Nokton48, on Flickr

25th Anniversary Hasselblad 500C/M with 30mm F3.5 T* Fisheye Distagon Fuji Neopan 400 in A12 back ADOX BORAX MQ Arista #2 8x10 RC Multigrade developer Omega DII with Omegalite diffusion head.

― Mark Twain

Drew Wiley

I simply ground some extra flats on one of my hex rods (now an "oct" rod), allowing me to use it on either an F camera or in either regular mode or diagonal position on the Norma. I don't have one of those flip-away filter holders, but might hypothetically be able to adapt a spare darkroom one. Wouldn't want to, however, because I use the rod for sake of a compendium shade made from a short section of F/P series box bellows. Gosh, they made all sorts of accessories.

Darkroom Renovation Phase II 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Darkroom Renovation Phase II 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Darkroom Renovation Phase II 3 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Setting up the 8x10 Kodak Rubber 3 1/2 gallon Deep Tanks. Will start with DK-50 and DK-50 Replenisher, which I bought from a local camera store closing up.

― Mark Twain

4x5 100TMX Kelly Lighting Impaflex 60 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Plaubel Auto Makiflex #2 210mm f6.8 Kern Arau Process lens Kodak TMX100 Readyload Polaroid 545 holder D23 10 mins at 72C 8x10 Arista RC #2 Multigrade dev 1:10 F32 at 1/15 Broncolor Impact 21/41 strobes Impaflex 60 softboxes grid spot on background. 9x12 foot James Bright canvas background.

Special THANKS to Charjohncarter for sending me this film to me to use
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 13-Sep-2021 at 21:45.

― Mark Twain

Kelly LF lighting Broncolor Balloon Fill Only F16 EI 100 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Another digital test shot, building up Tim Kelly lighting in my smaller portrait space. Here I have exchanged the 60x60 Broncolor Pulsoflex Softbox, with the biggie globular Broncolor Balloon head, on a 300 ws Broncolor Impact Monolight. Light measured with Broncolor FM2 digital strobe metered measures F16 at Ei 100. The idea with this light is an overall soft directional fill, lighting as much background as possible. In these close quarters the Balloon head is definately the way to go, I can't imagine a softer light source with this one. Of course it falls off from side to side, just like windowlight but artifical. A good upgrade from using a small soft box, it didn't light enough of the set for my uses. This is my other cool James Bright canvas painted 9x12 foot background. I'll be changing up my background setup soon but it's going to be a bit of carpentry involved but well worth it. I'll be adding more lights to build this set up further

― Mark Twain

Darkroom Print 7 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Devil's Bathtub #2, 4x5 Sinar Norma, Tri-X very old filmpack. ADOX Borax MQ, IIlford Multigrade RC paper

― Mark Twain

Darkroom Print 6 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Devil's Bathtub #1.
    4x5 Sinar Norma, Tri-X very old Filmpack. ADOX Borax MQ, Ilford Multigrade RC paper

― Mark Twain