Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Darkroom Renovation Phase 1

Re: Darkroom Renovation Phase 1

Does the kreonite work? If so, where are you?

Les

Didn't see any kreonite. It's possible to use a salad bar, the kind you see at various restaurants. Just saw one at reasonable cost and it's all (where matters) stainless steel. I think 16x20 would be the largest size possible with this type of set up.....oh it was almost 6' long.

The Kreonite works, it's just outside on the other side of the darkroom front wall, next to the door. I used to feed prints in where the black plastic shelving is now, with all the tanks. I've just covered that up, see the black plastic stapled to the wall? I'm in Ohio, but I'm not ready to sell it yet.

Kreonite CPT16 EP2 Color Processor by Nokton48, on Flickr

And this is the Kreonite Plate Washing Sink I want to restore and install.

Kreonite Plate Washing Sink by Nokton48, on Flickr

Kreonite Water Mixing Valve Unit by Nokton48, on Flickr

And this Kreonite Water Mixing Unit will be removed and put over the sinks after I build and install them. The hot and cold lines will be easy to extend as they are already there as you can see.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Kreonite Color Processor Exhaust Fan by Nokton48, on Flickr

This Exhaust Fan Setup will be re-run into the darkroom area. And move some extra outlets in there as well. Right now I will just run heavy duty extension cords.

Plug In Radiant Heater by Nokton48, on Flickr[url=https://flic.kr/p/23L9Zf4]

I have a couple of these radiant heaters that plug in. It is cold in there. Maybe I should have a heating duct run into there: It's VERY cold right now.
    There's the Kreonite Drain Pipe I just took out. We also made that grey table to hold the Kreonite. I could maybe repurpose that; My Wife wants to use it as a laundry table

LOTS TO DO

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Kreonite Color Processor Exhaust Fan by Nokton48, on Flickr

This Exhaust Fan Setup will be re-run into the darkroom area. And move some extra outlets in there as well. Right now I will just run heavy duty extension cords.

Plug In Radiant Heater by Nokton48, on Flickr[url=https://flic.kr/p/23L9Zf4]

I have a couple of these radiant heaters that plug in. It is cold in there. Maybe I should have a heating duct run into there: It's VERY cold right now.
    There's the Kreonite Drain Pipe I just took out. We also made that grey table to hold the Kreonite. I could maybe repurpose that; My Wife wants to use it as a laundry table

LOTS TO DO
    I love the Kreonite plate sink. I have an 8 foot Kreonite sink, same color. It is a graphic arts sink so has a separate drain trough in back. Hang on to the processor if you have room might come in handy.

Back Side of Kreonite Plate Washing Sink by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here is the bottom side of the Kreonite plate washing sink, you can see how easy it would be to put a table with storage under it. I will build something out of 2x4's.

― Mark Twain

Even though fluorescents have an afterglow, I've never found it to be a problem, when developing C41, B&W or RA4. They seem to fade to a level that is a non-issue almost immediately, based on my experience.

May switch to LEDs for less flicker and finickiness though.

Darkroom looks good so far!

New Overhead LEDs installed by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here I have installed two LED 4' overhead strip lights, and relocated the large round kitchen fixture overhead. I also changed the tungsten bulbs to LEDs.
    I think the lighting is brighter, more pleasant, will be cheaper to power, and runs cooler. Next I will rerun the safelights, and clean and move the copy stand(and junk) in the far corner out and around. I want to run some dry plates in here this weekend. Need one more Patterson safelight, already have three.

Also, I bought more of the white shelving at Lowes, I'm not happy about losing half of my formica work table, with the shelving sitting on top of it. So for now, I am running the white shelving floor to ceiling, and pulling the formica table out to accomodate the work table. Additional shelving will go underneath the table, to store trays and other stuff. Tray sets (four of each) arrived from Freestyle yesterday, in 5x7, 8x10, and 11x14. I'll order 16x20 but that's more for future. 16x20s I had been processing in a Unicolor Print Drum.

Also, I am cleaning the Bencher copy stand and moving it around, and clearing out the storage junk in the far corner. That will give me some additional work space. In the future the copy stand may go out into the studio area. A friend sent me an article from Darkroom Photography about building darkroom sinks from sheet PVC. I think I like that idea and may roll with that.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 24-Jan-2019 at 06:21.

― Mark Twain

consider a Thomas duplex safelight if you can- it's by far the best out there. One will easily light your whole space.

Kreonite: honestly, I'd dump it - if you want to get back to RA4 processing, there are better/smaller/more appropriate choices. (Can that even be set up for RA4?) I use a Fujimoto CP-31 (I actually have a whole spare CP-31 too...), it's a great solution for RA4.

-Ed

Idea for darkroom sink by Nokton48, on Flickr

I am envisioning something like this in my new darkroom. That will come in phase II -- Electrical, Plumbing, and Construction.

Phase I is simply getting it up and running again!

― Mark Twain