Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Darkroom Renovation Phase 1

Re: Darkroom Renovation Phase 1

Daniel, do you ever sleep?
    Great work.

FWIW in my darkroom I hung a large, black felt-like cloth behind the enlarger to stifle reflected light. It was not an original idea of mine but just because I came about the cloth. I'm glad I did. May you also be so fortunate.

Is the washer staying in the sink? If so, make sure the sink will hold the weight of the print washer full of water...

How about that Omega 4X5 Head? Looks like one of those Circlite heads.

I have similar but lesser version for MF. Got it NOS in box.

Mine is only for display, but shares your version transformer and lamp.

Very interesting!

3 enlargers by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Sink Area Done! by Nokton48, on Flickr

Today I cut panels and trim finished them, then finished filling out the hole in the wall. All Good and light tight now. Then finished shelves and rearranged processing equipment and chemicals.

I'm ready to start using the darkroom
    Tin Can

According to the article, this one will hold seventeen rolls of 35mm or 120. Enough capacity for me for now. You can add forced air I may do that, I used to use a cheap hair dryer, just cut a hole for it. The article also lists plans for a "drying module" which consists of a 650W cone heater and a cheap fan in a wooden box, with metal top to help deal with the heat.
    I have that article somewhere, but I advise to not use direct air or heat if you don't have to... It is easy for heat to overdry film leaving a severe curl, and any air movement will likely carry dust/lint with it around your film, and even filters on fans are not 100% dust stopping... And movement from either of these can make the film sway around possibly making contact with other films...

Best to air dry if you can, but on soggy nights, you can make just a little heat by putting a 150w light bulb and socket inside dryer that is more gentle drying...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    How about that Omega 4X5 Head? Looks like one of those Circlite heads.

I have similar but lesser version for MF. Got it NOS in box.

Mine is only for display, but shares your version transformer and lamp.

Very interesting!

3 enlargers by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    It's an Omegalite D 4x5 diffusion head. It uses a circular florescent bulb. It's connected to a vintage Time-o-lite and has worked very well for me. I like it for making smaller prints on graded paper.

My plan is to get a second Omega DII (actually just the column and base) so I can identical side by side enlargers. The new DII will have the Modern Enlarging Systems Model 2 LED head, which puts out 150W of LED light. Should be great for making larger prints.

I have a 180mm F5.6 Rodenstock Rodagon that I have used in the past for printing 4x5 to 16x20. I just acquired a second Rodagon, a 150mm F5.6 that matches the 180 I am familiar with.
    16x20 is as big as I will go, problems compund printing larger sizes than 16x20.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    I have that article somewhere, but I advise to not use direct air or heat if you don't have to... It is easy for heat to overdry film leaving a severe curl, and any air movement will likely carry dust/lint with it around your film, and even filters on fans are not 100% dust stopping... And movement from either of these can make the film sway around possibly making contact with other films...

Best to air dry if you can, but on soggy nights, you can make just a little heat by putting a 150w light bulb and socket inside dryer that is more gentle drying...

Steve K
    Back in my teenage years, I made this same unit. I put a hair dryer unit in the bottom of it. Most of the time I air dried my film inside the box. I was doing newspaper photography at the time. Some times we needed quick turn around.

― Mark Twain

New Focus Mounts 150mm 180mm Rodagon by Nokton48, on Flickr

Today I worked on the Omega DII enlarger. First I carefully leveled the drop table using shims, then carefully leveled the carrier section of the enlarger. Then I went out to the shop and rebuilt these two DII lens mounts, adding three-point adjustments for absolutely parallel planes in regards to the enlarging axis planes. I drilled and tapped the cones, and added mouse pad and machine bolts for tight adjusting of the lens plane.

I will use my Laser -Align tool for the final calibrating. On the easel looking with my Omega Micro Focuser the grain is quite sharp at F5.6.

I love my 180mm f5.6 Rodagon for 4x5, I was produced many sharp 16x20s with it. I just bought this 150mm F5.6 Rodagon (identical lens in terms of age) a few days ago, for when I need more magnification of the image. Nice to have both!

― Mark Twain

New Focus Mounts 150mm 180mm Rodagon by Nokton48, on Flickr

Today I worked on the Omega DII enlarger. First I carefully leveled the drop table using shims, then carefully leveled the carrier section of the enlarger. Then I went out to the shop and rebuilt these two DII lens mounts, adding three-point adjustments for absolutely parallel planes in regards to the enlarging axis planes. I drilled and tapped the cones, and added mouse pad and machine bolts for tight adjusting of the lens plane.

I will use my Laser -Align tool for the final calibrating. On the easel looking with my Omega Micro Focuser the grain is quite sharp at F5.6.

I love my 180mm f5.6 Rodagon for 4x5, I was produced many sharp 16x20s with it. I just bought this 150mm F5.6 Rodagon (identical lens in terms of age) a few days ago, for when I need more magnification of the image. Nice to have both!
    I have a 180mm El Nikkor for 6x17. 210mm Rodagon for 5x7. 240 and 300 Rodagons for 8x10. I paid 100 bucks for the 240. Sometimes even I get lucky

Big Componons for future by Nokton48, on Flickr

I have some classic 60s vintage Big Componons, too.

Ken Ruth suggested I get a full set of Componons, which I have done. Very useful, cheap, and plentiful. Ken suggested taking out the inner elements, and washing the glass in your kitchen sink, with dishwashing detergent. Has worked for me

The 240mm f5.6 and 300mm f5.6 have been in use and are usuable as is on my Plaubel Makiflexes. The mounts are set up for that.

Eventually I will add an 8x10 Enlarger

― Mark Twain

getting there 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

getting there 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Cleaning and organizing. Approaching a stopping point. Time about to start using it again.

― Mark Twain