Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Darkroom Renovation Phase 1

Darkroom Renovation Phase 1

I'm renovating my home basement darkroom. Up until now, I used this space for general storage, film loading, and long ago, color enlarging. I still have a 16" Kreonite CPT16 dry to dry EP2 Color processor hooked up, but I'm getting rid of that. Want to set this up for B&W darkroom work. Washing and water in another room right now.

Been buying shelving, floor mats, and a LOT of cleaning and organizing. Mind the clutter, it's not done yet. Just wanted to show you guys my progress. What do you think so far?

Darkroom renovation 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Darkroom renovation 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Darkroom renovation 3 by Nokton48, on Flickr
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 20-Jan-2019 at 17:33.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Re: Darkroom Renovation Phase 1

Daniel, the larger of the two enlargers looks to be an Omega with the "saucer-shaped" lamphouse, which was designed with a circular fluorescent lamp for graded papers. I have the E6 (5x7) version which I converted to LEDs for use with VC papers. FYI, if you're ever interested in such a conversion, I posted this lengthy thread some time ago:

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...5x7-E6-LED-Mod

Also, when I built my darkroom I hung a couple of fluorescent fixtures for room lighting; then I noticed they left a very dim afterglow from the phosphors for several minutes after being turned off; so I switched to incandescents. I found out later this is a common problem with fluorescents.

Looks like you're well on your way. I never stop renovating, I need to print!

I have a lot of EKTALURE salon paper I loaded up on, right before it was discontinued, up to 16x20. The Omegalite liked Ektalure. I developed it in Unicolor print drums. And a lot of Foma graded paper. I like to mix my developers from scratch sometimes. Glycin and Amidol I recall fondly.

I've ordered tray sets to 16x20 and they should be here from Freestyle in a few days. Work on this continues as I have time.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    Daniel, the larger of the two enlargers looks to be an Omega with the "saucer-shaped" lamphouse, which was designed with a circular fluorescent lamp for graded papers. I have the E6 (5x7) version which I converted to LEDs for use with VC papers. FYI, if you're ever interested in such a conversion, I posted this lengthy thread some time ago: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...5x7-E6-LED-Mod
    Also, when I built my darkroom I hung a couple of fluorescent fixtures for room lighting; then I noticed they left a very dim afterglow from the phosphors for several minutes after being turned off; so I switched to incandescents. I found out later this is a common problem with fluorescents.

Appreciate your comments, Jerry. Now I have even more ideas to ponder! Yes the LED mod is intensely interesting to me. Thanks
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 20-Jan-2019 at 23:39.

― Mark Twain

no sink?

My dark room get very dark at night n also serves as my workshop.
    at least you have sheet rock n open studs to work around. My walls n ceiling are plaster n lath which makes running wire n pipes a PITA. Lucky me I have a sink in an alcove kitchen as it was once used as a basement apartment. Id like to run pipes to update it but my old brass is buried in walls I really dont want to start disturbing.

oh the other problem?... where to I put all my crap while renovating? I have so much stuff n machines n no where to put it.

feeling a bit more lucky now?

Jerry, the afterglow problem is why I used LED's in my darkroom. I've had fluorescent lights that had an afterglow that lasted 45 seconds! The LED's have an afterglow, but it's never been over 5 seconds.

I'm changing to LED four footers overhead. My local Menards has them $27 for 2000 lumens. Planning to put up two of them. Also have to reposition the overhead tungsten fixture, and multiple Patterson safelights and Kodak Green inspection filter.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    no sink? oh the other problem?... where to I put all my crap while renovating? I have so much stuff n machines n no where to put it. feeling a bit more lucky now?
    I want to build a long sink, and behind the Omega enlarger is a Kreonite square large green "plate washing sink" (think print shop type stuff). Want to build a base for that with legs and use it for film processing. Also I want to set up my 8x10 Kodak rubber tanks for a B&W basket processing line. I have all that stuff already. Not sure yet where to put all this stuff!!!

Right now water and film processing is going on in the laundry room. Stationary tub there.

Yes I feel lucky

― Mark Twain

Daniel, make sure you have more electrical outlets on the dry side of the room than you think you'll ever need; this rabbit hole of photography has a way of increasing the "needs". Consider also the ventilation/filtering needed for your room air volume. Also room temp and/or humidity, depending on where you're located. Lack of FRESH air can be debilitating and produce some weird results. Temp control of water supply can be difficult; areas like the US southwest is known for high temp water supply in the summer and can be challenging to get it cooled down for use. I'm in the northwest (no HVAC) and fortunately don't experience this challenge year round. My darkroom is always ready to go in and start working, using a small portable thermostatically-controlled space heater to maintain 68F (24/7, unless I'm gone for a lengthy time). It also keeps everything in the room stabilized at that temp. As a backup, I installed a higher output wall heater with ON/OFF wall switch (only operated when I'm in the room) - it originally had thermostatic control but jammed in the ON position ONCE and heated the room to 108F before I discovered it (that control was quickly trashed).

SINK: I put in two SS sinks (7-ft and 4-ft) end-to-end, then built a plywood rack under the 7-footer with slots to hold ALL my trays up to 20x24. A great space saver. Each sink has a shelf; the 4-footer's shelf holds film/print washers, large & small + chem storage containers. Above the 4-ft is a water flowmeter to control flow to print washers.