Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Darkroom Renovation Phase 1

Re: Darkroom Renovation Phase 1

Darkroom Vent Fume by Nokton48, on Flickr[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ey93iX]

This will be the Homemade Darkroom Fume Vent. It's actually a driveway rainwater drain, but it's perfect for this use. Later today I'll buy the drain pipe and connectors to rough this thing up. The high speed duct fan will go in the laundry room.

Right now the drain is suspended by thin wires which might not be a bad solution as space in the sink is at a premium. Not a problem even with the 16x20 trays
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Relocated Safelites, Air Evac System roughed in by Nokton48, on Flickr

I now view a ventilation system important for the long term, so now it is really roughed in. The Harbor Freight Dust Collection Fan is like a rocket engine. Maybe too powerful and loud, even in the other room? We will see

Also rerouted a couple of safe lights, and screwed down the power strip up high left.

This will work until I get plumbing and new electrical added. The sink is simply to contain the mess at this point. Prints get washed in the adjoining laundry room.

I have a LOT of negs I haven't seen in 25 years to print.

Also you can see the neg 10 minute film dryer, located behind the door

― Mark Twain

The Petersons Photographic Matte Print Dryer I can use it right now for air drying prints, although I'm still looking for the right place for it, it's really big and heavy. Need to build a table that fits it, with storage underneath. The lid and everything about this thing is heavy duty. I'm also glad I selected marine plywood but wow was it expensive $168 for a 4x8 sheet but it's beautiful. I have plenty of corrogated cardboard sheets (from the internet) but I will prolly buy more blotters, they are cheap at Freestyle.

No heaters in it yet, I'm debating about that. I did buy a 650w cone heater and they aren't $6 anymore. They are $39 and they make them in whatever wattage you desire. I also need to install those muffin fans you sent me and wire them in. I also bought a "Carbide tip Adjustable Circle Cutter" as well as an 18" metal platform Step Stool while at Harbor Freight.

Planning on a printing session this afternoon. I have some Arista EDU graded #2 and #3 Matte RC paper I want to try.
    I also found some outdated sealed 5x7 and 8x10 Agfa Brovira fibre DW various grades that might still be usuable. We will see........... I do like the Ilford Multigrade Developer, although I also have Dektol and I used to mix GAF130 and my own Amidol I'll have to find the receipe.

I also have fifty sheets of 8x10 fibre Ektalure salon R paper, as well as some 11x14 and 16x20 frozen new from when Kodak was dumping it. My favorite fiber paper.

Right now it's all matte RC, which is easy to deal with and scans great

Petersons Photographic Matte Print Dryer by Nokton48, on Flickr
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 22-May-2019 at 18:06.

― Mark Twain

Harbor Freight Dust Collection Unit by Nokton48, on Flickr

Serious air evacuation on the other side of darkroom wall. Sounds like a rocket engine

― Mark Twain

Darkroom Ventilator 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Darkroom Ventilator 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

This will allow fresh air to be pulled into the darkroom area. I need to build this.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Relocated Safelites, Air Evac System roughed in by Nokton48, on Flickr

I now view a ventilation system important for the long term, so now it is really roughed in. The Harbor Freight Dust Collection Fan is like a rocket engine. Maybe too powerful and loud, even in the other room? We will see

Also rerouted a couple of safe lights, and screwed down the power strip up high left.

This will work until I get plumbing and new electrical added. The sink is simply to contain the mess at this point. Prints get washed in the adjoining laundry room.

I have a LOT of negs I haven't seen in 25 years to print.

Also you can see the neg 10 minute film dryer, located behind the door
    That's the same rain collector I used. I have the "mini" dust collector " . It's a capacitor start motor so I don't know enough to comment on remote switching. I use mine for toning and to get the heat and humidity out. I don't run it all the time, too much volume.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190505_164950-1-1_resized.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	191588

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Darkroom Ventilator 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Darkroom Ventilator 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

This will allow fresh air to be pulled into the darkroom area. I need to build this.
    I wonder if you could build such a unit that would take small 3M Filtrete filters? Use the ventilation system to sweep the air?

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    I wonder if you could build such a unit that would take small 3M Filtrete filters? Use the ventilation system to sweep the air?
    Yes that's been a great upgrade and will be great for dust filtering. I have plenty of that for now.

― Mark Twain

Not to be too negative and pendantic but that drain is not going to really be very effective as a manifold. It will draw 95% of it's air from the center round opening where it meets the pipe going to the vacuum/motor, not drawing air from the full length of the drain (vent). The higher/faster the speed of the draw (volume and velocity) the more this will be the effect (drawing from center only). Probably not a big deal though.

Looking good in general, nice efforts and progress!

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Probably not a big deal though.
    Hi Again Ed,

I've heard from another here that it works OK, so on that basis I am proceeding with it. When I start toning fiber paper I will be appreciating some ventilation. I was told recently by another Guy who was visiting (very knowledgeable) that the ceiling tiles above the trays will absorb the chemicals and stain them over time. No reason for that to happen!

― Mark Twain