Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Darkroom Renovation Phase 1

Re: Darkroom Renovation Phase 1

VC Contact Printing Source by Nokton48, on Flickr

I saw that Tim Layton built this unit, so followed his lead and I had fun building this. The ulility light was $10 at Home Depot, I removed the clamp mechanism. The box is made from foam core board and masking tape. I put my Multigrade 6x6" #00 & #5 variable contrast filters in cardboard frames, so I can change the filtering out by touch, under the dark safelights.

I tried a 7.5W bulb, amazingly way too bright for RC VC paper. So I ordered ROSCO ND sheets from B&H, in .6 and .3 densities. About a thirty second or longer time is what I am looking for, so I have time for burning and dodging.

The four suspension wires keeps the box level and keeps it from swinging around in the dark.

Garden of the Gods 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

4x5 Sinar Norma 90mm Sinar Super Angulon HP5 in PMK+ contact print on Promaster VC RC. My first attempt at split filter VC contact printing. Multigrade dev
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Darkroom Renovation Phase 2 No 7 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here's how the 16x20 Calumet film washer is finally hooked up and running.

Darkroom Renovation Phase 2 No 8 by Nokton48, on Flickr

― Mark Twain

Here's what will be the renovated studio space

Retro 70s Studio Storage Space by Nokton48, on Flickr

― Mark Twain

looking good!

Kodak 3F Basket Line 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

8x10 Kodak hard rubber deep tanks I am setting up. At least this is where I want to put them.

Kodak 3F Basket Line 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Detail on 3F basket line. Thinking I will either run replenished D23 or maybe Harvey's 777 if I can mesh with those guys in Kentucky
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 7-Oct-2020 at 05:09.

― Mark Twain

New Backgrounds in Studio 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I've picked up a nice seamless paper background system from B&H, which uses three plastic chains to raise and lower the paper at will. Very cool good working system. So far I have black, super white, and blue jay colored paper. Rolls right down, neatly and super quick rolls back up out of the way

I also hung up two painted James Bright canvas backgrounds, which are quite cool. And I have two more narrow hand painted backgrounds out in front, fairly easy to raise and lower.

This is a work in progress but I am getting where I want to be with this. I do have more parts coming from B&H.

Every studio needs a good background system.

― Mark Twain

Nearly Restored 5x7 Sinar Norma by Nokton48, on Flickr

Since we are all locked down I have been working on restoring my old Normas, as they are more than sixty years old, they need some attention. This is my 5x7, I have put in some new light sealing foam in the front and rear standards, and also new foam in this new to me Sinar Norma Shutter. I sent the shutter out for cleaning (it was sticky inside) and replaced the sync cord, although for whatever reason, it is still not firing with strobes. I will get it sorted eventually, for now I will use my other Norma Shutter with my strobes in the studio, it fires 100%. The lens is a Sinar Norma 121mm F8 Super Angulon, forward mounted with copal shutter built-in, and full Norma Auto Aperture automation. This is the most deluxe way you could get this lens from Sinar at the time. Looking forward to shooting more HR-U XRay film with this new to me camera. Should make fantastic split-grade VC RC prints.

Also new in the studio are these background clamp weights from Savage, which keeps my seamless paper from rolling up by itself, and keeps the background tight and smooth looking. I can roll up or down in ten seconds any of my three colors of background paper, I have blue, black, and white. All three shown staggered against my studio back wall.

― Mark Twain

70mm Kodak Surveillance 60 exp ADOX Borax MQ 11 min 21C by Nokton48, on Flickr

Hasselblad A70 film back comes through again

60 6x6 cm exposures on one roll. 70mm Kodak Surveillance film about shot at about EI 250. ADOX BORAX MQ 11 1/2 mins 21C. Kindermann 70mm tank and reel WOW it's heavy. SSSLLLOOOWWW to fill and dump, you have to tilt the tank at a 45 to fill it or it just blows all over. And balance a one gallon brown glass bottle at the same time. Not fun!

I cut these into strips of twelve to dry. Then into VueAll 70mm plastic print pages or those KENKO 120 pages from the UK also fit perfectly
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 18-Nov-2020 at 07:51.

― Mark Twain

Good frame spacing too!

Easy too cut
    Tin Can

Daniel...it looks like you've got some raw wood underneath your large yellow "sink/tray" inserts - and, if so I'd like to suggest that you apply some type of waterproof finish to this before long, assuming that this isn't already in your plans.

...and seeing your "Garden of the Gods" photo - just so makes me want to go back to PMK! Oh...those edges!