Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Darkroom Renovation Phase 1

Re: Darkroom Renovation Phase 1

Ed/All,

The transformer in my Thomas is softly humming, does yours do that? Also it is not real bright. I got it cheaply enough that it's worth repairing.

Could also be the filters need redoing, or a bulb going kaflut. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 17-Apr-2019 at 18:19.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Eric Woodbury

I know nothing of these lights, but hum is usually from a transformer. It's fine unless it becomes a buzz. A soft hum is the windings vibrating with the 60 Hz power.

I have 3 Thomas safelights, they all hum. There's nothing to get worried about. They shouldn't get real hot.,if they do something probably needs attention . The bulbs are a standard bulb. Can be bought as generic for 25 -30 bucks.
    I use my all closed up with color filters for color printing.

For black and white, 1 is plenty and you only need open the vanes an inch. They take 10 minutes to warm up. I have to close mine to focus and compose prints.
    Best safelight ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Ed/All,

The transformer in my Thomas is softly humming, does yours do that? Also it is not real bright. I got it cheaply enough that it's worth repairing.

Could also be the filters need redoing, or a bulb going kaflut. Any ideas?
    These things take time for the bulb to warm up . Low pressure sodium vapor lamps. I turn mine on and give them at least 10 minutes to warm up. Do Not switch these on and off. Turn it on and leave it on until you are finished. Labs leave these on all day.

yeah, a 20minute warmup time is about what they need, and mine does have a soft hum (typical of these). Agreed about the other advice (leave it on, etc.)

I have never tried mine for color RA4 printing, just B&W.

Omega DII Drop Table no 2 nearly completed by Nokton48, on

Today I put this second Omega DII Drop Table together. I think it came out rather well, I used the plans right of an old Peterson's Photographic book about making photo equipment. I used an expensive sheet of oak plywood wood (might as well!), and some oak strips, from the local pro woodworking store, and they even cut the pieces for me in the store. All I had to do was put it together.

A few more embellishments and it's ready to use. And some good quality heavy locking casters as well.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Omega DII Drop Table no 2 nearly completed by Nokton48, on

Today I put this second Omega DII Drop Table together. I think it came out rather well, I used the plans right of an old Peterson's Photographic book about making photo equipment. I used an expensive sheet of oak plywood wood (might as well!), and some oak strips, from the local pro woodworking store, and they even cut the pieces for me in the store. All I had to do was put it together.

A few more embellishments and it's ready to use. And some good quality heavy locking casters as well.
    Looks great. I have been watching your progress. I've started renewing my space. My goal is to move out everything that's not directly being used. I have an adjacent store room. I am streamlining he operations. I have a nice table saw, but like you I went to Lowes, great guy used their panel saw to cut up some nice 3/4 " sanded ply, for some new shelving. I can't believe the amount of stuff I have accumulated, nuts, but fun

Drop Table 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Drop Table 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

These are the plans I followed.

― Mark Twain

I did not realize The Thomas has a transformer.

I am very afraid of old transformers.

And new ones from some sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    I have 3 Thomas safelights, they all hum. There's nothing to get worried about. They shouldn't get real hot.,if they do something probably needs attention . The bulbs are a standard bulb. Can be bought as generic for 25 -30 bucks.
    I use my all closed up with color filters for color printing.

For black and white, 1 is plenty and you only need open the vanes an inch. They take 10 minutes to warm up. I have to close mine to focus and compose prints.
    Best safelight ever made.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I did not realize The Thomas has a transformer.

I am very afraid of old transformers.

And new ones from some sources.
    I have never meddled with the inner workings. Mine are old, and decidedly well used. I have never had the funds to buy a new one. I have replaced the lamps. Mine are on GFCI circuits but that doesn't stop a fire. Big transformers used PBB fire retardants that are loaded with dioxins. I've never heard anything about these units?