Thread: Hello from Portugal

Hello from Portugal

Hi there!

I've been reading around the forum for some time now, but only now I decided to register.

I only shot Large Format back in college but I've been seriously thinking about (finally!) getting my own 4x5 camera. I've done some experiments with DIY Ultra Large Format a few years ago and would also like to get into that again...and this looks like the perfect forum for that.

See you around

Re: Hello from Portugal

Welcome to the forum! Anything 4x5 or larger is considered large format. Whether you use a lens or not is up to you. Quite a few people here own pinhole cameras. As far as camera obscure, I've seen YouTube videos where they converted a van or truck into a moving camera obscure so they could shoot landscape as well as portraiture. It's all fun! Glad to have you!

Welcome aboard!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Welcome aboard!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Anything 4x5 or larger is considered large format. Whether you use a lens or not is up to you. Quite a few people here own pinhole cameras. As far as camera obscure, I've seen YouTube videos where they converted a van or truck into a moving camera obscure so they could shoot landscape as well as portraiture. It's all fun! Glad to have you!
    Thank you!
    About the van thing, yeah, it looks awesome and it's on my bucket list. I follow the work of some photographers who do that and it looks pretty interesting. Looking forward to trying it out someday

Welcome! I may live in the USA, but my dog is from: https://estrela-dog.com/wp/home-2/
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Yes, welcome. I went to the link. Great work and I really love the smoking pic, very cool.

I may have to buy some pipe tobacco as I hate the smell of my brand new fog machine!
    Tin Can

Hope you enjoy the journey with LF film and gear. It can be challenging and fun both.
    Do you know this Photographer? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDzStvqUzG8 Armando Jorge? I know the images are not LF, but he sure has some fine work.
    Do you think you will be doing darkroom work and your own printing or a hybrid film/digital workflow? Maybe too early to commit. Whichever, hope you have a good time.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Guys, so sorry for the late response. I was in the process of moving to a new apartment (with no internet!) and super busy with work...so things got a bit out of control here.
    But I'm back!

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome. And now answering your questions:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Welcome! I may live in the USA, but my dog is from: https://estrela-dog.com/wp/home-2/
    These dogs are amazing. My cousin had one when we were growing up and he was the cutest thing . I also have a dog myself, he just doesn't really have a breed. But he's awesome -- his name is Sherlock; I might introduce him to the forum at some point!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Yes, welcome. I went to the link. Great work and I really love the smoking pic, very cool.

I may have to buy some pipe tobacco as I hate the smell of my brand new fog machine!
    Thank you!
    The smoke was actually from an electronic cigarette -- one of those vaping things, I don't know the right word for it. I used it in several different occasions in fact, because it works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Hope you enjoy the journey with LF film and gear. It can be challenging and fun both.
    Do you know this Photographer? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDzStvqUzG8 Armando Jorge? I know the images are not LF, but he sure has some fine work.
    Do you think you will be doing darkroom work and your own printing or a hybrid film/digital workflow? Maybe too early to commit. Whichever, hope you have a good time.
    I didn't know Armando Jorge, to be honest. But I quite like his style. In fact, I have a similar project in my hands, in which I travel through the interior of Portugal. SUPER interesting link, thank you VERY MUCH!

I'd love to do my own printing, but I don't have access to a darkroom now. Developing B&W film is totally doable in the bathroom, but printing...at this point I'm afraid I can't do it

I look forward to pictures of Sherlock!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Very interested in any news or tips about Portugal.

A friend of mine is looking to move there. US citizen born in Bulgaria. Possibly the Algarve.

I may visit once he relocates.
    Tin Can