Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printing on Epson Hot Press Bright

Printing on Epson Hot Press Bright

I am testing some b/w images for a client on Epson Hot Press Bright which I have not used before. They had been printed previously on either a Canon or Fuji printer (not by me) and have a good neutral b/w tone. I tested them in Advanced b/w mode normal density, which works fine for other b/w work and they have a slight cast which I see as sepia-like, buut the client sees as greenish. These were given to me as rgb files, so I converted them to grayscsale, 2.2 gamma, printed them in color mode, correct profile with better results, but still have a very slight cast. Printed one on Baryta paper in adv b/w mode and it is dead neutral gray. Is this just the way that the Hot Press Bright takes the Epson ink vs Canon? Thanks.
    r.j. phil
    www.rjphil.com
    N.E. Large Format Photography Collective

Re: Printing on Epson Hot Press Bright

Epson inks are naturally warm to start with. For the ABW mode, its always best to send the file in GrayGamma 2.2 and use the Dark setting in the driver as this is the most linear.

I use QTR and a custom inkset to print on Epson Hot Press Natural. You're doing something different, which I don't know as much about, but when printing with color, you're using the proper ICC profile? But the prints still are a bit greenish? Can't you add a bit of magenta to the print to fix, whether a hue/sat or curves adjustment layer? In ABW mode, I assume that there's a toning option?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by IanBarber View Post
    Epson inks are naturally warm to start with. For the ABW mode, its always best to send the file in GrayGamma 2.2 and use the Dark setting in the driver as this is the most linear.
    Thanks Ian - Tried that and it does look more neutral gray. Will show these to my client.
    r.j. phil
    www.rjphil.com
    N.E. Large Format Photography Collective

mitch

I print of Epson hot press bright as my main paper both color and B & W and have no problems with color cast at all ! the problem is with the printer profile you are using not the paper .
    . I use an Epson P800 and image print rip 10 and their profile's which are outstanding .
    mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    In ABW mode, I assume that there's a toning option?
    Yes, there's a control in ABW that allows adjustment of the tint.

Quote Originally Posted by wager123 View Post
    I print of Epson hot press bright as my main paper both color and B & W and have no problems with color cast at all ! the problem is with the printer profile you are using not the paper .
    . I use an Epson P800 and image print rip 10 and their profile's which are outstanding .
    mitch
    Would be interested to hear how the ABW compares to Image Print 10 on the P800 with the new HD inks

Is the eventual fade of the optical brighteners not a worry?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Optical brighteners will eventually fade, it depends on the manufacturer as to how fast. Even the ones that fade the quickest would take years to degrade. It is a point of contention in the industry as to whether or not they are archival. Keep in mind how optical brighteners work. They function by reflecting more UV light to give your highlights more pop. However if you place the print under glass the natural properties of glass will filter out the UV light reflecting on the optical brighteners. Given that and the fact that they degrade over time I would simply use a good paper without them.

-Joshua

Yeah, I use Epson Hot Press Natural for most prints. Red River Polar Matte looks really good with carbon inks. It has a dmax of 1.82 in my system, but it obviously has a lot of brighteners.