Thread: Hi from Australia

Hi from Australia

Hi all.

Dann Fromm suggested I drop by on another forum, as I've just purchased a little Arca Swiss 6x9 Oschwald camera. Has been great checking out the various threads as I enter the LF world, so much to learn and so many knowledgeable members here.

Looking forward to diving in and (hopefully) not asking too many obvious questions - although it may take me a while to work out what "obvious" actually means in this new area of photography for me.

Hoping the weather cools down a little from the 108F/42C we've been experiencing this past week, so that I can actually get out and shoot without keeling over from the heat!

Cheers,
    Nanette
    --
    Nanette Reid
    nanette reid - architectural photographer
    http://www.nanettereid.com

Re: Hi from Australia

Welcome to the best Forum.

That's a very nice camera you have. I really like shooting 2-1/4 X 3-1/4 inch sheet film.

However that size is not officially Large Format here.

Nonetheless there are places on this forum for any and all photographic format sizes. From cell phone to Mammoth cameras.

We all warmly look forward to your summer images.
    Tin Can

Welcome Nanette, yes it is warm, and doesn't look like there is to be any relief for a while yet. I live in the Granite Belt in southern Qld and this is crop growing country, apples and grapes mainly, the farmers are doing it tough at the moment.

Hi, Nanette. I did a little photography for my brother's architectural firm, but was primarily a portrait/commercial photographer. Welcome to the forum and let's hope it cools off soon for you! Enjoy!

Bob

Welcome Nanette. I'm from the NSW Central Coast just north of Sydney where the weather has also been gruellingly hot over recent days. As a new member who is also new to LF I've found this forum has a wealth of information if you go digging for it. Every question I've had has been answered from previous threads. I've jumped into the deep end with a Chamonix 4x5 coupled with 210 and 90mm lens. Learning curve is steep but loving it. Stay cool! Lorraine

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the awesome welcome - great to see some other Aussies on board too, and it's nice to know I'm not the only Aussie newbie here, Lorraine. It's a steep curve indeed! I used a 5x4 at photographer's college and absolutely loved it, hence my return.

Bob, love architectural photography - afraid I'm so not a portrait photographer, probably because I'm kinda shy and I don't need to banter to a building to get it to relax. I must admit though, some of the 5x4 portraits I've come across have been wonderful, so maybe there's hope for me yet!

Andrew, you guys have been doing it tough for quite a while, and while it's hot here in Adelaide and we pray for rain, QLD & NSW need it so much more than we do. Hope you get some relief soon, and not just in dribs and drabs.

Randy, you are so right, and I have seen some great posts from everyone assisting members with any questions they have regardless of format. In some ways, I could be lucky in that I can read up everything in the 5x4 + section and take it all on board for my little 6x9. I have in fact, just purchased a couple of cut film holders and next step is some film; managed to grab a Yankee tank over the weekend troo, and I have copious amounts of 120 to fill the 6x9 backs.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone here and learn as much as possible - 20 years away from it all has seen me gain a little rust when it comes to swings, tilts and yaws!!
    Last edited by ozphoto; 18-Jan-2019 at 03:27.
    --
    Nanette Reid
    nanette reid - architectural photographer
    http://www.nanettereid.com

Looking forward to seeing your posts, Nanette. Not sure when I'll have something to share though LOL.