Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goerz Artar 420 9,5

Re: Goerz Artar 420 9,5

The picture looks good. If that is with the Artar, then the overall flare level appears very reasonable. That is a challenging shot to keep the shadows free from density from overall flare. I don't know what you plan, but for the portraits I do it wouldn't worry me. Hurrell used a Goerz Celor that I believe had the same number of air/glass surfaces. Here's a link that should take you to a relevant page in a book about Hurrell:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=3T...urrell&f=false

I don't know if it is helpful, but here's some discussion about the designs:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...lor-amp-Dogmar

I used mine for panoramic Cirkut camera photos so don't personally know about the sharp/unsharp, but there were plenty on portrait cameras. The biggest potential issue to me is the speed; I'd rather have faster, but think you'll be fine. F9.5 is a nice aperture for portraits, but dimmer viewing. It will effectively be about a stop slower at likely portrait distances due to the bellows extension. Fairly shallow depth of field, but I often use f4 to f6 for portraits, so that wouldn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabtree View Post
    The picture looks good. If that is with the Artar, then the overall flare level appears very reasonable. That is a challenging shot to keep the shadows free from density from overall flare. I don't know what you plan, but for the portraits I do it wouldn't worry me. Hurrell used a Goerz Celor that I believe had the same number of air/glass surfaces. Here's a link that should take you to a relevant page in a book about Hurrell:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=3T...urrell&f=false

I don't know if it is helpful, but here's some discussion about the designs:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...lor-amp-Dogmar

I used mine for panoramic Cirkut camera photos so don't personally know about the sharp/unsharp, but there were plenty on portrait cameras. The biggest potential issue to me is the speed; I'd rather have faster, but think you'll be fine. F9.5 is a nice aperture for portraits, but dimmer viewing. It will effectively be about a stop slower at likely portrait distances due to the bellows extension. Fairly shallow depth of field, but I often use f4 to f6 for portraits, so that wouldn't bother me.
    Thanks for the references Crabtree.

>>> I know the book.

>>>Yes, it's with the Artar and a Wide Angle Lens Hood

>>>The idea is a series of portraits of very old people.
    Practically only head. Dark and well contrasted, trying to highlight the passage of time on their faces. Fresnel light.
    Any advice???
    Last edited by C_M; 17-Jan-2019 at 14:59.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M View Post
    Thanks John.
    It's not my lens, just a loan. The owner sells it for 60 dollars.
    What do you think???
    Do you want to put it in a shutter? Make a set of Waterhouse stops for it?
    That certainly sounds like an interesting project.
    We don't discuss valuations here as per forum rules.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Do you want to put it in a shutter? Make a set of Waterhouse stops for it?
    That certainly sounds like an interesting project.
    We don't discuss valuations here as per forum rules.
    Thanks John.

Sorry for talking about money, I'm really a rookie.
    I'm thinking about making a set of waterstops if finally buy the lens. The lens comes with one that I think is the middle of the aperture range of the lens. Maybe f / 22. I'm not sure.
    The attached photo was exposed for an opening f / 22 with readings taken with my Gosen spotmeter.
    I do not know if it will be the right lens for this type of project. I have not found portraits made with this lens to get an idea...

Artars are sharp. If you want wrinkles, I suspect you'll get 'em!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White