Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega Automega D3

Omega Automega D3

hello everyone,
    I'm brand new to this forum but have been lurking for quite awhile. I am making the slow transition back to film and I'm currently converting an unused 6x8 nook in my basement into a darkroom.
    i wasn't quite ready for it but an Omega D3 popped up on Craigslist for $75 so after some very brief research I grabbed it.
    Other than the missing negative carriers it all seems clean and complete. Any one here have one of these and can offer any suggestions or advice?
    It has a 50mm lens and a kodak filter holder but came with only 1 filter. I would like to get a 135mm lens as I will be printing some 4x5 negatives at some point.
    Should I try to source the kodak filters or look for Ilford one or another brand?

Thanks for any and all info!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1376.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	186468
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1377.jpg   IMG_1373.jpg   IMG_1374.jpg  

Re: Omega Automega D3

Sorry for not uploading correctly oriented images...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1373.jpg  

The D3 was meant to be an autofocus enlarger, with dedicated lenses, cones, and cams. You can use it as a regular enlarger with a 135 but you will need a few parts beyond the carriers (which interchange between all Omega Ds).
    look up Harry Taylor's classic-enlargers.com, and khb photographics in Toronto.
    Any Omega D is a true workhorse, like a WWII Jeep. Take care of it and it will outlive you.

For the 135mm lens you should look for the correct cone and focus track. How many focus tracks do you have now? May be easier to find lenses and cones to match them.
    About 8 years ago I helped a friend set up a D3 for 4x5" and 6x6cm and had very good luck getting all the cones and tracks from e-bay. Don't know what the used market looks like now.

That's a beautiful machine. Don't spend a bunch of money on carriers. Ask around on the forum. People saved carriers, lens and lens boards and chucked the enlarger. I'm a Beseler guy from my youth. So that's what I have too much of.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Any Omega D is a true workhorse, like a WWII Jeep. Take care of it and it will outlive you.
    Very likely true. I purchased my D2 in 1963, well-used, and it has been my companion since. I might suggest that you consider a 150mm lens rather than a 135mm for printing 4x5.

You have a fine looking machine, hope it gives you pleasure for many years!

Thanks for all the feedback!

It currently has 3 focus tracks.

I will check the sites mentioned for more detailed info. It's been 30+ years since I was in my high school darkroom. Some stuff I remember, more stuff I don't!

Joel Edmondson

Sent you a PM... Joel

I took a look at the focus tracks.

1st one says - 150mm Rodagon

2nd one says - 80mm Componon

3rd one says - to be used with S/N 4767592

So my questions are:

I should be able to use any 80 & 150mm lens with those tracks correct?
    With the 3rd track that specificies the S/N, since i don't have that lens ( i checked the 50mm on the enlarger and of course it's not the one) what are my options.
    And do these tracks and lens combinations only matter for the autofocus feature?

THANK YOU for any and all help!!

Joel Edmondson

Nice looking enlarger James... if memory serves me, you should be able to use the cams with other lens brands of the same focal length but may have to adjust the focus slightly (most of the experience I had was that I almost always did some "tweaking" but the cams were useful in that the "gross-adjustment" - for lack of a better term - accompanying a change in enlargement was done by the AF feature. I wouldn't hazard a guess on the third one other than to say that I would give it a try with the 50mm that was with the enlarger. I will check my "treasure chest" tomorrow and see if I still have some negative carriers... I seem to recall a 35mm and a 4x5... as previously noted, many of us hoarded negative carriers and I can't even recall how many different enlargers I went through over the course of sixty years.
    Joel