Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: 10x12 format?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    In the desert...
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nevada/N.Arizona/ Florida Keys
    Posts
    562

    10x12 format?

    Any users of the 10 x 12 format?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    474

    Re: 10x12 format?

    Yes, I have a lighweight 10x12 Vageeswari, I dont use it that much these days. I made my own shutter out of half a speed graphic and would use my old barrel lenses with it. I only ever used xray film though.

  3. #3
    Zebra
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    468

    Re: 10x12 format?

    Dave my old friend!

    I use a 10 x 12 Canham for a large portion of my Wet Plate work. Love the format. To me it is the sweet spot to holding a plate in your hands and hanging it on the wall. I also use it for pt/Pd work

    Hope you are well

    Monty

  4. #4
    In the desert...
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nevada/N.Arizona/ Florida Keys
    Posts
    562

    Re: 10x12 format?

    Quote Originally Posted by Monty McCutchen View Post
    Dave my old friend!

    I use a 10 x 12 Canham for a large portion of my Wet Plate work. Love the format. To me it is the sweet spot to holding a plate in your hands and hanging it on the wall. I also use it for pt/Pd work

    Hope you are well

    Monty
    Yo Monty,
    I'm looking into the 10x12, am working with 14 x 17 this winter and spring, 10 x 12 seems to be a good "all round" format...Hugo is worth up some custom specs for me.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    375

    Re: 10x12 format?

    If you ever heard back from Chamonix regarding a 10x12” camera and you can share, I’d love to know details / price. I’m actually quite keen on this format and if money come my way via print sales - yeah right! - I might order one with also an 8x10” reducing back. I’m keen to know if they make holders, too.

    Lastly, a friend just ordered a custom cut box of true 10x12” film from Adox (chs100ii) and they can cut pretty quickly! Their standard closest sheet size is actually 9.45x12” though. Is this a more usual sizecthese days, or what? I see Adox, Bergger and Ilford all produce paper at this size too, rather than true 10x12.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    Yo Monty,
    I'm looking into the 10x12, am working with 14 x 17 this winter and spring, 10 x 12 seems to be a good "all round" format...Hugo is worth up some custom specs for me.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    5,906

    Re: 10x12 format?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim V View Post
    .............
    Lastly, a friend just ordered a custom cut box of true 10x12” film from Adox (chs100ii) and they can cut pretty quickly! Their standard closest sheet size is actually 9.45x12” though. Is this a more usual sizecthese days, or what?".....
    9.45x12" sounds like 24x30cm. The availability of cameras which take this European standard equivalent to 10x12" is greater than the corresponding numbers of 10x12". Lots were made made around 1900 and are reasonably priced these days.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    375

    Re: 10x12 format?

    I reckon 10x12" is a great format. The only reservation I have about it is getting film, as Ilford or Kodak (as far as I'm aware) don't seem to do this size even on custom orders anymore? Adox do though, so that's an option?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    474

    Re: 10x12 format?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim V View Post
    I reckon 10x12" is a great format. The only reservation I have about it is getting film, as Ilford or Kodak (as far as I'm aware) don't seem to do this size even on custom orders anymore? Adox do though, so that's an option?
    There is always the option of xray film? Its cheap, comes in pack of 100 sheets, but a little care is required.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    199

    Re: 10x12 format?

    I also shoot 10x12. Made my own camera and holders and I shoot x-ray with it. Love the format.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    646

    Re: 10x12 format?

    10x12 here as well. It's a great format. Started with a 10x12 Deardorff, but now have a 10x12 Chamonix and a Sanderson A Pattern. It's a standard size for the Ilford ULF program and I'm sure Adox would cut it for you.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •