Thread: UV Filter For Paper Negatives?

UV Filter For Paper Negatives?

I am planning on playing around with using some grade 2 darkroom paper as a negative in my camera and since we know that graded paper is mostly blue sensitive, I was wondering if using a UV filter would help control the contrast and typical white sky effect with graded papers?

Thanks

Re: UV Filter For Paper Negatives?

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    I am planning on playing around with using some grade 2 darkroom paper as a negative in my camera and since we know that graded paper is mostly blue sensitive, I was wondering if using a UV filter would help control the contrast and typical white sky effect with graded papers?
    Thanks
    Photopaper is very UV sensitive and a UV filter is to remove more light from the UV rich sources, but light from sky itself is not rich in UV if you are not in a high mountain:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuse_sky_radiation

See the graph in the link, you will notice that you have little power at left of 400nm.

You may use a VC paper with a green filter to make paper work with lower contrast. A yellow filter would do mostly the same than the green one because difference is that yellow allows to pass irrelevant red.

You may try with filters removing more or less blue with VC paper, you can also use ilford contrast filters for enlargers, if those can be used under the enlarger lens then you can also use those for the taking.

Re: UV Filter For Paper Negatives?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Photopaper is very UV sensitive and a UV filter is to remove more light from the UV rich sources, but light from sky itself is not rich in UV if you are not in a high mountain:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuse_sky_radiation

See the graph in the link, you will notice that you have little power at left of 400nm.

You may use a VC paper with a green filter to make paper work with lower contrast. A yellow filter would do mostly the same than the green one because difference is that yellow allows to pass irrelevant red.

You may try with filters removing more or less blue with VC paper, you can also use ilford contrast filters for enlargers, if those can be used under the enlarger lens then you can also use those for the taking.