Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubricant for Deardorff wood.

Lubricant for Deardorff wood.

Hello

Does someone have an idea for lubricating the wood of the deardorff, iīm having some difficulties in moving the rear bed of the camera, itīs a v8

Thanks

Rui Lourosa

Re: Lubricant for Deardorff wood.

I have used a block of wax for lubricating wood joinery.

Bee's wax works for me.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

loujon

Hey Rui
    Make sure your "rear focus rack" is not damaged & out of square or that you have bad "bed splits" as more often this is the reason for the focus issue your asking about. If either of the things I mentioned is noticeable on your V8 most times waxing or lubing the track will be of little to no help with a binding focus rack.

That said there is a proper way and product to lube a few spots on the Deardorff cameras. Check out the "care" section of Ken Hough web site. Found here,,,,http://www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com/

DO NOT USE BUTCHERS WAX I used to and after time it did not treat my 'dorff well.
    In fact it made a royal mess of things requiring a partial refinishing.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I'm NOT for beeswax on any parts where the purpose is to reduce friction/binding--I used to keep bees--beeswax is actually quite sticky, even surprisingly so. And stupid me learned all this when I applied beeswax to a sticking drawer in a night table. Paraffin wax is better. And a high-quality (e.g., castile) soap might be tried on a small surface. On my night table project, I removed all the beeswax and applied soap from a bar in the bathroom.

Again, this post is about treating surfaces which are binding or not sliding smoothly.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Collins View Post
    I'm NOT for beeswax on any parts where the purpose is to reduce friction/binding--I used to keep bees--beeswax is actually quite sticky, even surprisingly so. And stupid me learned all this when I applied beeswax to a sticking drawer in a night table. Paraffin wax is better. And a high-quality (e.g., castile) soap might be tried on a small surface. On my night table project, I removed all the beeswax and applied soap from a bar in the bathroom.

Again, this post is about treating surfaces which are binding or not sliding smoothly.
    Roger that!

Bone wax, a sterile mixture of beeswax, isopropyl palmitate, and +/- paraffin, on the other hand, is excellent. Company literature says the mixture of isopropyl palmitate is softening but I find the mix is much harder and has a higher melting point than bees wax; it has to be sweated on with a hair dryer.

for the wood on wood parts, I use a touch of Howard's Feed n' Wax which is locally available most places. Home Depot has it. It has always worked great for me. Been using it for well over 15 years.

Drew Wiley

Beeswax can sure collect abrasive dirt and grime over time. But so do deer (as in Deerdorff).