Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightroom CC won't merge my existing files

Lightroom CC won't merge my existing files

I've just joined up the Lightroom CC plan. One of the first things I tried was importing two existing scanned files off my hard drive to merge. The workflow to merge I think I've got right, open the two imported files, then hold Command button and click with the mouse. When I did the merge procedure I got a message saying they didn't have the correct/same/compatible (not sure which one now I'm at work) metadata. I then put metadata into the imported files and tried the merge again but got the same result. Any ideas on how to overcome this.

The files are E6 scans in JPEG format.

I'm sure it is something simple, but I've searched the net and can't find my answer.

ColinD

Re: Lightroom CC won't merge my existing files

The exact message I get is:

Unable to merge the photos
    One or more of the selected photos may lack metadata necessary for merging.

Ok, I'm a rank novice at using this gee whiz software. If I click on the metadata tab above the photos there is the following:

Date, Camera, Lens, Label

None of them have any data in them, intuitively at this late hour I'd say that is my problem, is that right?

ColinD

I've just found on the Adobe discussion site that the likely cause in no f-stop, focal length and ISO. If that is the case, do I add that info when I scan or do I add it manually into the imported scan on Lightroom.

ColinD

I won't use LR, it's darn confusing with it's storage methods.

Gave up years ago.

I use many other Adobe CC products without a problem.
    Tin Can

Pictures from most digital cameras will have all the basic info (lenses, f-stop, etc.) embedded in the "EXIF" information that is part of the file. For scans, and when you use old lenses on modern camera bodies, you have to add the information yourself. Lightroom does not have a built-in way to do that, but it's fairly straightforward using a "plugin". The one you want is this: https://www.lenstagger.com/

It doesn't matter if the image you're bringing into LR is from a camera or a scanner -- the procedure is exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin D View Post
    I've just found on the Adobe discussion site that the likely cause in no f-stop, focal length and ISO. If that is the case, do I add that info when I scan or do I add it manually into the imported scan on Lightroom.

ColinD

Call me stupid, but I'm gonna persevere with training this software to do what I want it to do.

ColinD

Quote Originally Posted by rdeloe View Post
    Pictures from most digital cameras will have all the basic info (lenses, f-stop, etc.) embedded in the "EXIF" information that is part of the file. For scans, and when you use old lenses on modern camera bodies, you have to add the information yourself. Lightroom does not have a built-in way to do that, but it's fairly straightforward using a "plugin". The one you want is this: https://www.lenstagger.com/

It doesn't matter if the image you're bringing into LR is from a camera or a scanner -- the procedure is exactly the same.
    I've found a site on them internets that explains it well enough, I think anyway. It reads logically enough for a newbie to LR like me to understand so I'll try it and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin D View Post

ColinD
    No, you import databases. Ie, if youhavea. Existing data base then you can import that and merge. I do it all the ti.eincluding db with film images.

You can import an image directly to db you have open with import command. You need ZERO Metadata, etc to do so. However, watch size of file. Try to keep under 4gb in size. Also, LR does not read PS psb files (large document format)

Look up Julian Kost she is Adobe guru with many videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    No, you import databases. Ie, if youhavea. Existing data base then you can import that and merge. I do it all the ti.eincluding db with film images.

You can import an image directly to db you have open with import command. You need ZERO Metadata, etc to do so. However, watch size of file. Try to keep under 4gb in size. Also, LR does not read PS psb files (large document format)
    Thanks Steven, I was importing the files from a external hard drive, but they wouldn't merge, they were 4x5 scans. I can merge digital images ok on LR. Recently I downloaded Photomatix to see if that worked, and it does merge my film scans.