Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Scanner Comparison 2019 [Epson Flatbed | Eversmart Flatbed | Drum Scanners]

Re: Scanner Comparison 2019 [Epson Flatbed | Eversmart Flatbed | Drum Scanners]

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baker View Post
    Pali,

Have you considered doing a slanted edge test? You can a razor blade at 5degrees for the flat beds, but you may need to create a suitable target for the drums. For the color negative what are you planning on using?
    Ted, I had not and have never heard of this test but I can definitely look into it. I am curious to know what would this test help with? I am using this image for Color Negative testing because the leaves are subtle variations of colors that will be interesting to see across the scanners.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Good going Pali.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Great job, Pali. I look forward to more of your results!
    Thank you Bryan and Peter!

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Pali, just I checked the calculations, in the vertitical bars we can see element 5.6 clearly. This is 57.0*25.4*2 = 2895.6, so it's way better rounded to 2900dpi.

With Hor bars (vert axis) we see 5.4 at least, this is nailing 2300 dpi. Always there is a subjective factor for the 1951, and important thing is having a uniform criteron, but to me a fair reading would be 2900x2300, in special the 2900 reading is clear to me.
    Pere, I think my astigmatism may be coming into play here but I went with safer option to what my eye can see. I think that is why you and I are coming at slightly different conclusion. I agree with your assessment though and that is why I noted the resolution as approximate. I will update the numbers once we are done with all the tests and what everyone feels like is the right summary for each scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post
    I think that is why you and I are coming at slightly different conclusion.
    The 1951 had been criticized because that silght subjectiveness about what's contrast extintion. IMHO a good criterion is being able to be perceive for sure the bars' orientation, without considering the extremes of the bars.

[QUOTE=Pali K;1478033]I am curious to know what would this test[/IMG]

http://kilopixel.net/publications/EI5294-11.pdf

Epson 700 | SilverFast SE | Kodak Portra 160 Color Negative 16BIT RAW Scanned at 6400 DPI and down-sampled to 5000 DPI

LINK TO FILE

The best ColorPerfect conversion I could achieve without increasing saturation. LINK TO 5000 DPI FILE

Creo/Scitex Eversmart PRO | Eversmart Scan 3.0 | IT8 Colortarget 8 BIT RGB - All Settings OFF

DISCLAIMER:
    • Eversmart PRO does not have the ability to scan in RAW or save files in 16 BIT.
    • 5000 DPI is interpolated by the software.

LINK TO FILE

Creo/Scitex Eversmart PRO | Eversmart Scan 3.0 | USAF 1951 Resolution Target 8 BIT RGB - All Settings OFF

DISCLAIMER:
    • Eversmart PRO does not have the ability to scan in RAW or save files in 16 BIT.

This is the best resolution my Eversmart PRO can achieve. Both Vertical and Horizontal are either Group 5 - Element 5 or 6 (~2500 - 2800 DPI)

LINK TO FILE

UPDATE: I zoomed in the image and it seemed the resolution is greater than what is visible on the original image due to file size so I scanned it again at 8000 DPI max allowed and upscaled to 11000 DPI. Here is the result. I think the resolution is safely Group 5 Element 6 putting it at ~2896 for both Vertical and Horizontal.

Creo/Scitex Eversmart PRO | Eversmart Scan 3.0 | Kodak Portra 160 Color Negative 8 BIT RGB - All Settings OFF

DISCLAIMER:
    • I converted the 8 BIT file to 16 BIT in Photoshop before using ColorPerfect

LINK TO FILE

The best ColorPerfect conversion I could achieve without increasing saturation. LINK TO 5000 DPI FILE

Thanks for your hard work. SO what setting should I use on my Epson V600? I shoot medium format 6x7.

Great thread, thanks for doing this!

Ted, I had not and have never heard of this test but I can definitely look into it.
    It is one way to measure the MTF of the scanner, for example rather than trying to measure what can be resolved at around 5-10% contrast which is what the USAF target your are using does. You can measure what can be resolved with a contrast of say 50%, or any contrast level for that matter. It is a much better comparison method.

This blog explains https://harvestimaging.com/blog/?p=1328

There is some software in imageJ to the calcs (Its on my todo list to test)

I am using this image for Color Negative testing because the leaves are subtle variations of colors that will be interesting to see across the scanners.
    Yes that looks pretty good. I was wondering if you have a photograph taken of color checker chart, in daylight. I am interested in comparing with can be achieved by other scanners or a DSLR so having a target that anyone can create if they have same stock might be useful and for other selfish reasons but perhaps that will take this thread on a tangent.

This is the best resolution my Eversmart PRO can achieve. Both Vertical and Horizontal are either Group 5 - Element 5 or 6 (~2500 - 2800 DPI)

UPDATE: I zoomed in the image and it seemed the resolution is greater than what is visible on the original image due to file size so I scanned it again at 8000 DPI max allowed and upscaled to 11000 DPI. Here is the result. I think the resolution is safely Group 5 Element 6 putting it at ~2896 for both Vertical and Horizontal.
    Pali, in this case I'd also rate it better, in Element 6.0 (at bottom) bars orientation is perceived with absolutely no doubt. To me it's 3250dpi.