Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Scanner Comparison 2019 [Epson Flatbed | Eversmart Flatbed | Drum Scanners]

Re: Scanner Comparison 2019 [Epson Flatbed | Eversmart Flatbed | Drum Scanners]

Reserve 10

Epson 700 | SilverFast SE | IT8 Colortarget RAW

LINK TO FILE

Last edited by Pali K; 6-May-2022 at 11:41.

Epson 700 | SilverFast SE | USAF 1951 Resolution Target RAW

LINK TO FILE

Image below is cropped from a 6400 DPI scan but not resized. This is the best resolution my V700 can achieve. Vertical is ~2800 DPI and Horizontal is ~2200 DPI

Below are links to my "focus calibration" scans

Focus Setting 1
    Focus Setting 2 **Best Focus**
    Focus Setting 3
    Focus Setting 5
    Last edited by Pali K; 6-May-2022 at 11:41.

Pali, great thread and you are the right person to do it.

I ask that you quantify your target charts. Such as 1951 USAF resolution test chart and how to use it. I use a letter sized download Laser printed and know I am doing it wrong. Several times I have asked for help with that on this forum.

I notice that https://www.edmundoptics.com/c/test-targets/1099/ sells many, some are very expensive and tiny.

I plan to buy this one as it's big and 'only' $50 shipped. https://www.edmundoptics.com/f/resol...r-chart/11903/

Also a great idea to 'reserve' linear posts so it gets recorded in one string. Genius!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post
    Epson 700 | SilverFast SE | USAF 1951 Resolution Target RAW
    Image below is cropped from a 6400 DPI scan but not resized. This is the best resolution my V700 can achieve. Vertical is ~2800 DPI and Horizontal is ~2200 DPI
    Pali, yes, this is consistent with all tests posted around, and my own tests. Thanks for making this test.

Think that 2800 effective dpi is amazing for a single pass covering 5.9", any expensive pre-press or pro scanner has to stitch strips to beat that. Sadly the poor vertical driving quality degradates the Y performance.

From scans of practical shots it would be interesting to find at what enlargement a drum makes a difference. My bet is 1.5m for 8x10 and 1m for 4x5.

Still for 8x10, with area guide it has a lower resolving power because the other lens takes the full bed, instead 5.9", it would be also interesting to measure that.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Pali, great thread and you are the right person to do it.

I ask that you quantify your target charts. Such as 1951 USAF resolution test chart and how to use it. I use a letter sized download Laser printed and know I am doing it wrong. Several times I have asked for help with that on this forum.

I notice that https://www.edmundoptics.com/c/test-targets/1099/ sells many, some are very expensive and tiny.

I plan to buy this one as it's big and 'only' $50 shipped. https://www.edmundoptics.com/f/resol...r-chart/11903/

Also a great idea to 'reserve' linear posts so it gets recorded in one string. Genius!
    Thank you Randy! Good thought on qualifying the resolution target which I will do so now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Pali, yes, this is consistent with all tests posted around, and my own tests. Thanks for making this test.

Think that 2800 effective dpi is amazing for a single pass covering 5.9", any expensive pre-press or pro scanner has to stitch strips to beat that. Sadly the poor vertical driving quality degradates the Y performance.

From scans of practical shots it would be interesting to find at what enlargement a drum makes a difference. My bet is 1.5m for 8x10 and 1m for 4x5.

Still for 8x10, with area guide it has a lower resolving power because the other lens takes the full bed, instead 5.9", it would be also interesting to measure that.
    Thanks Pere! Yes, I plan to post everything here step by step and will consolidate everything in the first 10 posts when all said and done.

Pali,

Have you considered doing a slanted edge test? You can a razor blade at 5degrees for the flat beds, but you may need to create a suitable target for the drums. For the color negative what are you planning on using?

Good going Pali.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Great job, Pali. I look forward to more of your results!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post
    Vertical is ~2800 DPI and Horizontal is ~2200 DPI
    Pali, just I checked the calculations, in the vertitical bars we can see element 5.6 clearly. This is 57.0*25.4*2 = 2895.6, so it's way better rounded to 2900dpi.

With Hor bars (vert axis) we see 5.4 at least, this is nailing 2300 dpi. Always there is a subjective factor for the 1951, and important thing is having a uniform criteron, but to me a fair reading would be 2900x2300, in special the 2900 reading is clear to me.