Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Scanner Comparison 2019 [Epson Flatbed | Eversmart Flatbed | Drum Scanners]

Re: Scanner Comparison 2019 [Epson Flatbed | Eversmart Flatbed | Drum Scanners]

It appears based on my readings and research that the real issue is that there are no solutions to high-end scanning between $2500 (V850 with fluid mounts) and about $9k+. I'm considering an IQSmart2 system (used, of course) to supplement my V850 which will be relegated to quick scans for evaluation. Is that a fair assessment of the current market? I did notice that the larger Epson 12000XL is an option at $4.5k or so but that doesn't really give me any advantage over the V850 other than negative size (I scan 6x17 to 8x10). Would you agree?

The options are essentially older high-end flatbeds like the Eversmart, Cezanne, etc. that have commensurate operational issues (old computers / OS, etc). A turnkey system is preferred, if you want to get to scanning and not spend a lot of time tinkering (and you'll pay for the pleasure).

My first Cezanne was around $2500, shipped to my house. The second one I bought as a backup was about 1/3 of that, picked up. It works fine when swapped in for my first machine but doesn't like the second Mac G4 I have...so it sits as a backup/spare for when my first machine decides it's time to retire.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

A potential issue with these old scanners is that service is often not available, nor are the specialized parts to perform some of this service yourself available. I'm currently having a problem with my Cezanne, and I doubt I'll be able to fix it.
    Last edited by Peter De Smidt; 19-May-2022 at 11:26.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

It's a good reason to buy from a tech.

Brian

We bought our Creo Eversmart from Micheal Streeter in Lansing Mi and in fact sending it in for repairs due to someone not lifting properly when moving, I am so happy he is around, very diligent and responsive to our emails. I highly recommend his services.

Quote Originally Posted by bmikiten View Post
    I did notice that the larger Epson 12000XL is an option at $4.5k or so but that doesn't really give me any advantage over the V850 other than negative size (I scan 6x17 to 8x10). Would you agree?
    I once tried using an Epson 12000XL to scan some 35mm and 120 negatives, and the results were extremely poor. This was using the Epson film holders, not messing with any wet mounting etc... I think this scanner is only good for prints.
    In my personal opinion, given all the trouble you have to go through to pull a decent film scan from the flatbed scanners, your time+money would be better spent assembling a DSLR scanning rig. Other members here have done this, and after trying it myself, I'll never mess with flatbeds for scanning film again.
    In my experience the only straightforward scanner worth using now is the Imacon.

I have GFX100s and some macro lenses and recently purchased 4x5 Chamonix 45F2.I was doing digi scan for 35mm which was super high quality compared to any Epson scanner but 4x5s do i really need Epson V800 or similar? i just don't wanna do stitching which is extra work..

Quote Originally Posted by Sert View Post
    I have GFX100s and some macro lenses and recently purchased 4x5 Chamonix 45F2.I was doing digi scan for 35mm which was super high quality compared to any Epson scanner but 4x5s do i really need Epson V800 or similar? i just don't wanna do stitching which is extra work..
    What will you do with the scans?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    What will you do with the scans?
    Web share only.

Quote Originally Posted by Sert View Post
    Web share only.
    Then stitching won't be necessary.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know