Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epson V800 vs V600 for print scanning?

Epson V800 vs V600 for print scanning?

I have zero needs for scanning film(have a drum scanner myself) and only would like to have a scanner for print works, art works, and wonder if it still makes sense to purchase the V800 or a V600 would suffice? The film scanning lens system would be a complete waste for me, but I still would like to aim for the highest print/reflective scanning possible.

Or is there any other recommendations for such task?

Thanks

Re: Epson V800 vs V600 for print scanning?

I've been using the Epson V700 for ~12 years, and it's still producing excellent results. I'm sure the V600 would be enough, and you can save some money for more film :-)
    The V800 has dual lens, two extra film holders (4x5 & slides), and a better dynamic range. And it comes with SilverFast SE, the best scanning SW in my opinion. But all of this comes with a ~$1k extra cost.

Re-reading your question I see you do want the highest quality. In this case, go for the V800. And buy the tray for wet scanning, this method produces a huge improvement in the scan quality. I'm using it on the V700.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-Pierre View Post
    Re-reading your question I see you do want the highest quality. In this case, go for the V800. And buy the tray for wet scanning, this method produces a huge improvement in the scan quality. I'm using it on the V700.
    I have no need for film scanning, only some print paper. Can you wet mount print paper as well?!

I have both a V600 and V800. The V800 is overkill for scanning prints. Both machines have ICE which partially corrects for tears and dust and also color corrects automatically or manually.

However, there may be better machines from Epson or others that scan prints better as these machines are mainly produced for film scanning.

Quote Originally Posted by zhengjdc View Post
    I have no need for film scanning, only some print paper. Can you wet mount print paper as well?!
    No, it can't. I'm sorry I misread your post. Wet scanning is only for film negatives

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I have both a V600 and V800. The V800 is overkill for scanning prints. Both machines have ICE which partially corrects for tears and dust and also color corrects automatically or manually.

However, there may be better machines from Epson or others that scan prints better as these machines are mainly produced for film scanning.
    I Agree. I was thinking of scanning negatives and slides.

I just upgraded to a V600 from an older Canon flatbed scanner for prints. The image quality increase is huge and the scanner software was easy to configure and use. Haven't scanned film with it yet, but I have a Nikon Coolscan for slides. The v800 would have been overkill for me and much more expensive. Really happy with the V600 so far.

Quote Originally Posted by jim_jm View Post
    I just upgraded to a V600 from an older Canon flatbed scanner for prints. The image quality increase is huge and the scanner software was easy to configure and use. Haven't scanned film with it yet, but I have a Nikon Coolscan for slides. The v800 would have been overkill for me and much more expensive. Really happy with the V600 so far.
    Or any other scanner much better suitable for my needs? I have some huge collections of large-size print photos from schools need to be archived. My current slides/negatives had all been archived by my Howtek drum scanner.

Epson Photo scanners. Some include film such as the V600 and V850.
    https://epson.com/For-Home/Scanners/...acf8130a82b821