Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Scanner Comparison 2019 [Epson Flatbed | Eversmart Flatbed | Drum Scanners]

Re: Scanner Comparison 2019 [Epson Flatbed | Eversmart Flatbed | Drum Scanners]

Pali, this is great. Thanks so much for your persistence. I'm following this thread until the bitter end.

My vote is for slide film next.

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post
    slide or black and white negative?

It would be interesting to see what happens with grain. It would be interesting to compare tabular with classic. A bit this is the shortcoming I find in a EPSON for 35mm, grain depiction, but anyway printers don't depict well grain.

In the Salgado's Genesis they had post 2007 images shot digitally, they then introduced artificial grain in the images with emulation software to keep consistency with TXP shots: the artificial grain was nice but it could not be well printed digitally with lightjet type equipment, and of course also not with inkjets. So they ended printing 8x10 Delta 100 sheets (4 images per sheet) with an LVT Rhino, and then they enlarged optically.

Well, let's see the grains...

With velvia it would be interesting to see what happens with highest densities, but we'll lack a test with EPSON/Multiexposure.

I'm with Chassis. Great job, Pali!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thank you Randy, Pere, BJ and Peter! I am going to go with these two as the next set. Both of these have areas of great sharpness and full range of almost white to almost black.

HP5 | HC110-B

Vevlia 50

Good choices, Pali.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Does anyone know if SilverFast has a file size limit? It can't seem to save my 6400 DPI files and its frustrating because it fails at the very end.

This is the same comparison area from all three drum scanners with AUTO COLOR ( CTRL + SHIFT + B ) command. They are all sooo close
    Indeed that quite interesting, do you know anything about the filters that sit in front of the respective PMTs?

Does anyone know if SilverFast has a file size limit? It can't seem to save my 6400 DPI files and its frustrating because it fails at the very end.
    Silverfast and vuesscan all have 4GB output files limit which is constrained by version of TIFF file supported.

Also in old Mac, the maximum filesize supported in HFS is 2Gb. HFS+ solved that.

_____

Also to note that if we want color 16bits per channel (4x16, in fact), 8x10 sheets can only be scanned at 2500dpi without going beyond those TIFF 4Gpix mentioned by Ted, being 2400dpi a standard setting.

4x5 would reach the tiff limit at 5000dpi, so 4800 is the right setting, isn't it ?
    Last edited by Pere Casals; 21-Jan-2019 at 04:14.

It's interesting that both your ScanMates have the same jaggy issue my 5000 has, though it appears your's is slightly worse. I've been trying to figure out if it's drum balance or an issue with a position encoder. It certainly limits the useable resolution and would probably. Any ideas on a fix?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    it's drum balance or an issue with a position encoder.
    From the cyclic nature it has to be a vibration. The Hor elongation looks a Sin, and it takes several rows to complete a cycle.

From the ammount of rows it takes a cycle to complete we have the time period and Hz of the vibration. We should focus in a part that have a natural vibration frequency of that range.

Time ago I had a similar issue with a linear camera, not the same but similar effect... When I saw that image I noticed the similarity.